Snakeheads @ Big Al's

roypark05

If they think they can fit it in their mouth they will try! I've seen one try and eat an arowana its own size. I told the guy not to do it but he did. What kind are they?

Edited by KTK

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Snakeheads can cause quite a commotion among people. Myself, I will pass. These are not (in my opinion) pretty fish, and from my research, they will kill anything put into the tank with them. It is no wonder various locales are scared to death of these fish reaching thier local waterways . They breed fast and would destroy the local fish population. The LFS's sell these fish when they are quite immature. The problem happens when they grow so rapidly that the owner may be inclined to just release it as they don't have the room for it. I wish there was more education for the sale of these super predators to potential buyers. This would allow the responsible aquarist to be able to enjoy this fish and others like it rather than having them banned.

The types I have seen are micropeltes, bleheri, and gaucha.

The bleheri and gaucha are good candidates for smaller tanks. ie: 50 gal+ or so

The mircropeltes is one of those fish that should not be sold. Unless you have a tank of atleast 600gals for one fish do not bother.

Remember the reason why these fish are even being sold/mistreated is because people buy them.

I have heared of very few people that keep channa micropeltes for life.

• 1 month later...

I was in Big Al's Edmonton yesterday. They have a single ~ 18" C micropeltis in stock that was a hobbyist return. Apparently the original buyer purchased 4 juveniles and was left with this one. Growth rate, appetite (30+ feeders / week) and husbandry requirements made it impractical to keep. Beautiful fish though.....

I was told that they commonly get in C gachua, and the odd time C bleheri's. Both these interest me, far less aggressive than the big boys, smaller and gorgeous to boot.

Any keepers on this forum?

O