Insurance

Hi,

So the wife and I are looking to go bigger, about 150 - 180 gal. Ideally, we'd like to put the tank in the main floor of our house.

I called my insurance company today and asked if we would be covered in the event our tank ever exploded or leaked and had a flood. The guy couldn't give me a strait answer, looked in the computer and said he would have to get back to me after consulting an adjuster.

So it's gotten me a little worried that they'll come back and tell me i'm on my own if the tank ever explodes. At which point, I may end up putting the tank in the basement.

What's everyone's experience when it comes to insurance companies and getting covered for floods as a result of an aquarium leak?

Thanks,

When we got our first 55 gallon and lived on a second floor apartment, I called AMA whom I use for car insurance. They covered the aquarium and I had them put it specifically on the insurance papers. I was cover for 1 million liablity and property damage. The landlord otherwise didnt want the aquarium set up. Thanks for the reminder I guess I better call them about the 225 now :smokey:

That's interesting... When I got my 55g I called my insurance broker and asked him the same sorts of questions. Without hesitation he said my contents insurance would cover me if the tank busted and flooded, or broke through the floor...

Makes me wonder if it was just a "yes" to make me go away or if he really knew what he was talking about.

When I set up the 90 the wife phoned and was told that regular insurance would cover the flood damages but nothing else.

IMO there is no set "laws" or guidelines when it comes to aquarium and the possible damage they may cause for insurance brokers to follow.

Derek

Most homeowner insurance policies will cover the resulting water damage caused by an aquarium that fails/breaks, just as they would cover the damage from an appliance that leaked water and caused damage to floors/walls etc. There may be exceptions, such as the stand you were using was purchased at Ikea & wasn't rated to hold a glass box full of water weighing 1,000+ pounds, or your DIY 500 gallon aquarium was found to be below industry standards.

They won't cover the cost of replacing the aquarium, any more than they would cover the cost to replace a used appliance due to a worn part, or a manufacturers defect. You need to take that up with the manufacturer.

There are "extra" riders that can be purchased for water damage, but typically these cover damage from sewer back-ups & overflows, which generally are not covered under the main homeowners policy. Well worth the extra $30-40 a year for the additional sewer coverage.

HTH

$39 /month extra?

Thats a load of cr@p. I would shop around if I were you, and make sure your current company knows your shopping around.

My insurance company covers it all with the general house insurance.

Boom :boom:

Wow, I didn't realize this was covered by most insurance companies. I'm definitely going to call them back and get this straightened out.

Thanks for the info guy's.

$39 /month extra?

Thats a load of cr@p. I would shop around if I were you, and make sure your current company knows your shopping around.

My insurance company covers it all with the general house insurance.

Boom :boom:

i am having the same issue with my tenant's insurance. i called once i set up my second 55 gallon and asked if my sewer/flood coverage that i had added to my tenants/contents insurance when i first signed up was sufficient to cover the possibility of the tank leaking or busting. the lady on the phone said 'yep, it covers the tanks'. i am also wondering if they said that just to make me go away, lol. but with tenants insurance your belongings/contents are covered, so i don't know if it would cover the replacement of the tank or if it would cover the flood damages to the apartment that the tank leak/bust would cause????? confused! lol.

Most homeowner insurance policies will cover contents (if not you best find another insurance company) but as I explained previously they typically will not cover an aquarium that fails/breaks anymore than they would cover a used appliance that fails/breaks due to a worn part, or a manufacturers defect.

Generally only the damage from the leak/break would be covered.

Edited by RD.

i am having the same issue with my tenant's insurance. i called once i set up my second 55 gallon and asked if my sewer/flood coverage that i had added to my tenants/contents insurance when i first signed up was sufficient to cover the possibility of the tank leaking or busting. the lady on the phone said 'yep, it covers the tanks'. i am also wondering if they said that just to make me go away, lol. but with tenants insurance your belongings/contents are covered, so i don't know if it would cover the replacement of the tank or if it would cover the flood damages to the apartment that the tank leak/bust would cause????? confused! lol.

My first insurance was renters insurance and I called and asked as I was on a second floor apartment. I got property damage and liablity for $1,000,000.00. Im sure that it would be expensive to cover all the damage even a 55 could do to your stuff,the apartment(house) and whom ever (in my case) was below me's stuff :smokey:

stand you were using was purchased at Ikea & wasn't rated to hold a glass box full of water weighing 1,000+ pounds, or your DIY 500 gallon aquarium was found to be below industry standards.

What you saying Ikea partical board cant handle the weight? LOL :D

Edited by lt1fj40

I remember speaking to a guy in a fish store who was on a bit of a spending spree because all his tanks Burst in the summer heat and flooded his house. The insurance covered all the damage including the fish and filters in the tanks. He got a quote from Aquarium enthusiasts on price and the insurance company said okay. He sweentend the deal for them by saying if they let him buy a couple of bigger tanks and fewer of them he could do it cheaper. So they agreed to that too. Personally i'd get a written statement from the insurance company stating what they would cover and what they wouldn't in the event of a flood caused by the tank. That way there is no confusion if it happens to you and things should go allot smoother. Plus they can't go back and say no your not covered because you have written proof.

Good luck and be sure to let them know what the other companies say and maybe they will change their statement.

Have fun

L