Best schooling fish?

jesp

I have some girardinus falcatus(blue eyed livebearer) that seem hardy and prolific. Really like to watch them. They look kind of like a scissor tail rasbora.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the Red Rainbows will be too big for that size tank. If you are interested in a schooling fish, I would trade in the Rainbows and the kribs for a larger school of Rummy nose or Cardinals. The key with Rummy-nose tetras and Cardinals is a well aged tank (set up for at least a year) and warmer water (82F). Both of these guys love a well planted tank.

Tammy

Rainbows might be the ones killing your schooling fish.

My rainbows might be the ones killing them? I always thought it was probably my kribs?!? And rainbows known for that? Do I need to get rid of them if I am going to get more little fish?

I've always had success with Serpae tetras, when you get them in a well planted tank they get a bright red and are gorgeous.

• 3 months later...
I have some girardinus falcatus(blue eyed livebearer) that seem hardy and prolific. Really like to watch them. They look kind of like a scissor tail rasbora.

I agree with fishclubgirl the falcatus make an awesome school and extremely hardy and prolific. They have been the most active school I have and have loved my planted tank. I started with 8 and how have over 32 (thanks AM).

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through this, I noticed she had given up on neons(as I did many years ago). My other suggestion in the tetra group would be blue tetras. I had a group several years ago that ended up passing away due to old age. They were very hardy and quite pretty. Then I got bitten by the "betta" bug and the rest is history!!

Haven't you heard that "Boys don't cry". My bad, I'm better at sexing fish than AA members. Good thing, my bf's not on here or we would've never hooked up!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Seeing as you all seem pretty well versed in shoal/schooling fish, I have a semi-related question to ask. I know that you have to keep most of this type of fish in the half-dozen minimum quantities, but can that half-dozen be made up of different types? For example, I have a smaller tank and can not support much more than the minimum required number of 6, but for that 6 could you have say, 2 Green Tetras, 2 Cardinal Tetras and 2 Lemon Tetras? Or do all 6 have to be of the same species?

This question has been on my mind frequently as I try to pick my new pets but still have some color and variety in my tiny newbie tank. Thanks for your time.

ChakaRaka.

Hi Everyone,

For example, I have a smaller tank and can not support much more than the minimum required number of 6, but for that 6 could you have say, 2 Green Tetras, 2 Cardinal Tetras and 2 Lemon Tetras? Or do all 6 have to be of the same species?

ChakaRaka.

I believe if the fish are of the same size, then they can school together. Color of the fish should also play a part, I think ..