Best schooling fish?

jesp

I am looking to get a nice school of smaller fish for my 30 gallon planted tank but I have been having trouble.

I gave up on neon tetras after numerous deaths. My rummy nose tetras were gorgeous and just what I wanted, until they died too.

I need something hearty and beautiful to watch. I am thinking about tiger barbs.

Any advice?

I have:

1 Hillstream loach

3 red rainbows

3 kribs, female

1 rummy nose tetra

1 pleco

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my advice to you is to keep going with the neons.

Try going to a better quality provider for the neons. You may pay a bit more, but you'll end up healthier in the long run. Alternatively, buy about 25 of them and hope to keep 10.

Another good schooling fish that I like is Lemon Tetras or Rasboras. Both get a bit bigger than neons, but can be really impressive schooling fish if you're into that sort of thing, like I am.

Currently I have a school of 10 neons, 10 black tetras, 5 rasboras, 3 lemon tetras and 5 guppies. The neons, rasboras and lemons are always together.

I have about 11 barbs - tigers, ruby and rosies.

I absolutely hate them (my mother loves them so i leave them in the tank for her viewing pleasure)

although they are very very active in my tank and quite colorful, i simply hate the fact that I can't put much else in the tank due to their aggressiveness, mainly the green tigers. the rubys and rosys dont seem to be aggressive at all.

In between my tanks I have:

school of rummynose rasboras (20)

school of celestial rasboras (20)

school of cardinal tetras (10)

school of congo tetras (10)

Out of those I like the congos but 30 gallon might be a little small, they are one of the bigger tetras. The cardinals are nice as well and stay small.

i have a small group (5) of long fin rosy barbs. they are not aggressive at all as far as nipping, even if they do like to chase each other all the time.

i would suggest a small group of these barbs, perhaps a half dozen or so. they do get to be about 1.5 inches so they are not one of the smaller schooling fish, but their colours and long fins are absolutely beautiful.

I am looking to get a nice school of smaller fish for my 30 gallon planted tank but I have been having trouble.

I gave up on neon tetras after numerous deaths. My rummy nose tetras were gorgeous and just what I wanted, until they died too.

I need something hearty and beautiful to watch. I am thinking about tiger barbs.

Any advice?

I have:

1 Hillstream loach

3 red rainbows

3 kribs, female

1 rummy nose tetra

1 pleco

I was going to mention clown loaches but then I realized it was only a 33 gal...so that's out of the question.

For a 33 gal size tank, I would say go with cardinal tetras like rayfong has but I believe they would require a very well cycled tank to thrive.

Just my 2 cent :beer:

Problem with cardinals are that they can be harder to keep than ones like the neon. I also say try and restock with about a dozen rummy nose, they are awesome in large groups and aren't very difficult to keep if you keep the water quality good. Do you notice your rainbows or kribs acting aggressive towards the smaller fish? Rainbows might be the ones killing your schooling fish.

Rainbows might be the ones killing your schooling fish.

My rainbows might be the ones killing them? I always thought it was probably my kribs?!? And rainbows known for that? Do I need to get rid of them if I am going to get more little fish?

• 4 weeks later...