Yippee she spit ..........again ......

HOSStile

Well my second Pun Nyerei female horked up another 35 kids....... The fun and the novelty is definitely wearing off. As I write this I am watching my male who is always blood red is shaking his @$$ off at the other female. I can tell you she must be a strong swimmer constantly have to swim against the current of his thrashing tail. I look at my juvey tank to see another 35 1 inch juveys swimming around already trying to decide who is boss and probably picking out sex partners.....sigh. Well back to feeding, got 2 more tanks to go.

This is when you look at the good possibilities. You could use it as an excuse to get a ray (or other predator), as you would after all have an almost endless supply of food! Or, you could order in a group of adult Syn. multipunctatus (or try to find some local 6" adults - good luck, WC adults would probably be cheaper!) and try your luck at having them taking advantage of the promiscuity of your Haps! I had thought about them many times when my fish just wouldn't quit breeding and no-one wanted the fry (and am finally growing out a group :) ) .

Actually, I was wanting those nyeri at the auction really badly...just didn't have the room. With half a tank of fish died off...I now have plenty of room. I also want a fish that my syno multipunctatus will eventually be able to utilize for breeding. I was just going to pm and ask if you had any more.

My only question is if I can have rock kribs and nyeri in the tank together without worries of crossbreeding. These two types of fish don't look a lot alike, but have that same recognizable vistorian hap look about them

Rahim, I think you need to do a little more research on your fish (sorry). Shelley is talking about ROCK Kribs, a lake Victorian Hap, NOT the African Riverine Pelvicachromis spp. :huh:

I've never kept either myself, and from I can see of them on pics on the net, the females do look different. IMO, I think you may be ok. Just keep an eye on them to see how the males behave towards the females of the opposite species. As long as you watch them and get used to how they behave towards one another you should be fine. It may be somewhat akin to keeping an Aulonocara with Sc. fyeri (they'll do ok as long as there are females of both, but if no females of one they're you're looking at hybrid city!).

Good luck with them!

Or, you could keep all three in the same tank, only keep the multi fry that are produced, and feed the rest of the fry back in.

Some people are uncomfortable with that, but it's one possibility.

My wife takes in kids during the day and works evenings. She has the knack of always netting out the moms just before they spit. I think they know by now and practically jump in the net for her. I have told her not to net the aulonacara hybrids and I guess we will see if she listens. Right now I have 2 OBs holding and my pulchers are tearing fish to shreds when they come near their cave. The only place that sex isn't going on is the 10 gal with the 2 gouramis and the other is the place most married guys know about. :rolleyes: