Babies!

frontfish

I feed the same as Kyle. Freeze dried cyclops untill they are big enough to start eating the NLS grow. I get my FD cyclops locally, its Sera brand(i think). Fairly expensive but it last a long time.

I feed my fry about 3-4 times a day, But make sure not to ovre feed and polute the water. I do a water change ever couple of days.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the NLS pellets when they get a little older. But have you tried throwing some blood worm in there. You got to try it at least once its alot of fun. When I use to breed yellows I just feed them brine shrimp a good flake mixed with some blood worm. They would just rip it to shreads. And the show was very funny to say the least. :rofl:

A buddy of mine posted this in another forum a while back, and I agree with him 100%.

Personally I've never used blood worms, and never will. NLS Growth is only .35 mm in size, and if crushed up even finer, can be fed to fry from day one. Same with cyclops-eeze.

Generalized mosquito larvae has often been linked to bloodworms. They are in fact not a worm but midge larvae from the family Chironomidae Order Diptera, Class Insecta. Hence the hemoglobin factor for a bloodworm reference. Mozzies will also fall into the mosquito category.

Chironomidae larvae and pupae are considered by many to be highly nutritious and nourishing however, when breaking down the nutritional value of bloodworms (Chironmidae larva) they are approximately 65% crude protein, and 10% crude fat. IMO, the percentages stated are not healthy for any cichlids long term. The 65% crude protein can potentially lead to bloat as well as excessive waste and build up of nitrates in an aquarium. The 10% fat content can ultimately lead to the degeneration of the liver resulting in "Fatty Liver Disease". Your Tangs would probably be better off not to be tempted...

Mosquito larvae are collected from muddy beds often exposed to toxic contaminants, pesticides and waste material. Ad Konings also, mentions larvae being linked to allergic reactions in about 30% of people coming in contact with them. Enjoying Cichlids 2nd Edition, 2002.

If you're looking to feed your fish a meaty protein consider mysis and/or cyclops