Fish with crabs?

lt1fj40

The problem is that the crabs may harrass/kill your fish at night when they're sleeping. Also, some cichlids (and other fish) may try to eat the crabs, as crustaceans are part of their natural diet.

I would start off with larger tetras, and would probably stay away from bottom-dwelling fish. It may be a bit of a "try and see" experience.

The problem is that the crabs may harrass/kill your fish at night when they're sleeping. Also, some cichlids (and other fish) may try to eat the crabs, as crustaceans are part of their natural diet.

I would start off with larger tetras, and would probably stay away from bottom-dwelling fish. It may be a bit of a "try and see" experience.

Yeah from my reading they say stay away from slower bottom dwellers..lol not sure how to pick that..lol

Maybe some dwarf cichlids will be ok?

The crabs I am talking about only ever get to the max of 2.5 inches and some of my other crab species only get 1" body size

Edited by lt1fj40

Its always risky putting fish in with crabs. Fast top dwelling fish would be the best choice but even then they might get eaten or hurt.

It also depends on the personality of the crab. I used to keep crayfish and one was crazy and spent all day trying to catch the fish and would eat any tankmate I added. Another of my crays did fine with a few tankmates and pretty much ignored them.

So if you really want fish in with your crab test it out with a few cheap fish like danios. That way if they become food its not too expensive.

Hey, I kept some red claw crabs for a while in a semi aggressive community tank with no problem. I had:

Tiger barbs,

Gouramis,

rams,

even some angels I think,

and a bunch of others.

I did not keep mollies or guppies or anything, but from what I understand, those crabs would not hurt my fish. They are not like crayfish, which I also had, which was in with my mbunas for a long time and the risk was to the mbunas, not the crayfish. I would say, nothing that has fins like a male betta or a guppy but also lives on the bottom. Other than that I think even alright sized tetras would be fine. (Such are my thoughts in anycase).

Nice good to hear everyone, I got them yesterday afternoon and put them in my 80 gal with some tiger barbs and tetras. The crabs are young and small but so are the fish and the all pretty much leave each other alone.

It is funny the crabs run away as soon as any fish comes up to them. LOL One day they will realize they are the predators.. There are a bunch of big rocks that create a bunch of caves so plenty places to hide, so I hope all will stay well.

Yeah pretty much every crab I look up they say give access to a place out of the water. There are fully aquatic ones but they are rare and hard to get in north america...

It depends on the crab I guess...even in the same species some like it in the water and some like it on land..almost all of mine seem to like the water..

I used a 3d back ground for my tank that is made out of foam board and the crabs can crawl up it super easy so that is a bonus and a problem all in one.

The bonus is I dont have to drain my tank low to have a way for the crabs to get above the water line but the problem is i have to make sure the lid is super tight or else they will all crawl out..

Long term we shall see, the guy I got them from has had this species for 3 years in a similar setup.

• 1 month later...

Yeah the common red claw crabs you see definitely need access to land, from what I've read. LFS have told me otherwise, so I wouldn't doubt they've told other people the same. A few months ago I searched high and low for a fully aquatic FW crab and couldn't come up with anything.

Will stick with my electric blue in my small community tank for now. So mild mannered he runs from any fish he sees.