Mystery Time!

jesp

Alright, here is the mystery. I have a planted 33 gallon tank. Crypts, anubias, java fern, wisteria, pennywort, etc.

Victims: the newly sprouting leaves of my anubias', the older leaves of my wisteria, and an unknown broad leafed plant in its entirety.

Suspects: 3 kribs, female

3 red rainbows

4 Julidochromis transcriptus (temps)

2 Synodontis multipunctatus (temps)

1 killifish

1 Pseudomugil Furcata (dwarf rainbow)

1 common pleco

So who done it? And can I stop it?

Edited by jesp

I'm no Horatio Kane but my money's on the pleco. You could try algae wafers or try relocation of the fish, IMHO.

Some plecos don't eat much plant matter at all - some eat mostly wood, while some eat mostly invertibrates. You can do some homework and hunting to find what you want in a pleco.

A pleco that stays small, doesn't seem to damage plants, yet still eats some algae is the Clown Pleco - fairly readily availilbe and inexpensive.

Are the edges of the plants bitten? If it was the pleco, you would probably see holes rasped in the surfaces of the leaves rather than the tips. I have had tetras eat new Anubias leaves, so I wouldn't rule out any of the other fish.

I've seen my bristlenose pleco sucking on plant leaves. Or the algae on them. Never seen it do any noticeable damage. But he has more algae than he knows what to do with right now and most of it isn't on the glass.

I have 15-20 bn in heavily planted tanks with no damage to the plants. They do get algae wafers when I remember and I always have driftwood for them too. Love them!!!

Are the edges of the plants bitten? If it was the pleco, you would probably see holes rasped in the surfaces of the leaves rather than the tips. I have had tetras eat new Anubias leaves, so I wouldn't rule out any of the other fish.

The Wisteria is kind of chewed up all over the place, it is hard to tell with that type of leaf. The anubias leaves are getting bitten in HALF as they are growing upwards in a little bundle before they even open up. When they do open up they are already mostly gone, but after they are open, they are never bothered again. Looks like a rabbit hopped by and bit the end off.........

Anyone have suggestions on plecos? I am probably going to be getting one from fairdeal in the next month or so, but I have not picked one. I want a nicely colored/ patterned one that is going to stay small and leave my plants alone.