Set up new 160 G tank

Bandi

Hi all ya knowledgable fish fanciers, just wondering what fish I should cycle my tank with.

I have these to choose from: any opinions on which ones are the hardiest to preform the task at hand

1, 7" oscar

3, 4" sunset cichlids

3, 1.5" convicts

2, 4" five bar cichlids

1, 16" clown knife fish

3, 4" red zebras

2, 6" blue mbunas

1, 5" venustus

2, 12" common plecos

2, 3" red devils

2, 5" jack dempseys

I have other fish also but I don't think they should even be in the running for a cycle. I know convicts are an obvious choice, but three little fish in a 160 G tank I don't think would do the job.

I personally think subjecting any of these to cycling your tank is a little cruel to your fish, it can lead to if not death serious gill damage!!

If i was in your shoes with as many setups as you have i would take a bit of established media from a few setups and cycle that way. No harm or punishment to any fish and the job gets done probibly quicker!!

Just my 2 cents though do what you want!!

Yes, I have put media from a well established filter into my new tank's filter today, but without a fish in there to keep the "cycle" going, the bacteria will die. Or am I wrong about that?

I second that. If you start with a few fish at a time and use Stability then the bacteria in the media you used should take care of the small amount of stuff the fish produce. You could also do some over feeding one day and then add a new fish or two a day or two later. If you start with the media transfer and then add as many fish as you think that will support then slowly add more then you should be safe. Watch the levels of all three ammonia NitrItes and NitrAtes. When the Nitrates show up and ammonia disappers enitrely along with Nitrates Add more fish. Stability will help immensely. IF anding a few more fish doesn't affect the levels of Ammonia or NitrItes then add more until it does and then repeat the same process until all your fish are good. It shouldn't be too hard or too complicated Just watch your levels and take it slowly as you think is safe based on the species. I think after the most robust fish are stable in the tank add the heavy waste produceing pleccos.

Good luck

L

P.S. To get my 80 gallon ready i added the Fluval to my existing tank and had it run there till my new tank is good to go. you can also take some rocks and substrate from another tank and use that in your new tank/filter to help boost the cycle. (gravel in a net bag works great!)

When I moved my 8 almost adult frontosas from my 90 gallon to my new 180, I just moved a couple of sponges over with 175 gallons of new treated tap water and 5 gallons of water from the old tank and that was it. No problems. I would never "cycle a tank" unless it was my first tank in the house.

Well, thanks for all the imput...sounds like I am on the right track. I put lots of media and sponge squeezings in the new tank and filter and I will start adding a few fish very slowly...over a period of several days. I think all should be fine.