Wnat to hatch my own Brine shrimp

rjsomers

Ok so I am one of those OCD people that like to know all the little details before starting anything and am therefore asking the pro' for advice.

My Mollies and Guppies and ready to pop with the next bath of fry and I want to try the brine shrimp route.

I have attached a picture of the hatchery I was given (Thank-you Geoff)

What do I need, best salt to use, collecting the brine shrimp etc.

Thanks in Advance

Currently am fish sitting for several spawns and using pickling salt and the aerated pop bottle. Am impressed by the hatch rates too. For best success, get fresh eggs and keep them in the fridge. ( I actually use microworms myself as I find them easier to keep going all the time)

Stinkin' Brine Shrimp...lol...that's all I have to say, had it going for like 2 days...still nothing hatched for me...of course I was relying on some shipped from Thailand and they could've been old for all I know.

I'm stickin' to MW's too for my... (wait for it...) 5 Betta Fry! lol My most recent spawn with a new female wasn't very successful. :(

I think it is very important for it to be in light 24/7 and also be at a temp of 75 - 80 deg .. with agitation sometimes a lil baking soda.. juss a lil lil pinch lil lil

HTH

A couple times in beginning I thought it did not work.... Look closely for zig zaging and shells floating... so damn small!

BTW

I use a Spaghetti jar with a hole in top for airline

Edited by Moutain Dew

Hatching Baby Brine Shrimp

This is just a guideline and the way I do it so you might have a way that suits your needs better.

You will need:

Air pump

air tubing

2 liter pop bottle

air hose connector

some Styrofoam or some other way to fasten the bottle inside your tank

Brine Shrimp mix:

1 Liter of tap water

1/2 tsp of BBS eggs ( I use Ocean Nutritian)

1 tbs of rock salt

1/8 tsp of baking soada

1/8 tsp of epson salt

Here's a pick that shows you how I float the hatchery in my tank. I put Styrofoam around the top also to float the bottle

DSC_0075.jpg

Directions:

To hatch eggs successfully place the recommended amount of sea salt to each liter of 80 degres (28 Celsius) tap water, add mixture of 1/2 tsp of eggs, 1/8 tsp of Epson salt, 1/8tsp baking soda, and 1 tbs of rock salt. Proper temperature control is the key so if your floating it in your tank your fine. Add the air line to the bottom of the hatching vessel. Make sure air keeps eggs in suspension for best results. Eggs will hatch into very tiny, nearly microscopic `Nauplii` (babies) in 18 to 30 hours. You can harvest by the removing the air tube and waiting five minutes for the BBS ( will be orange near bottom of cone) to come to the bottom of the bottle. Then siphon them with more air tubing into a brine shrimp net, rinse with fresh water if you like but I never, and feed to your fish. Some people just siphon the eggs right into the fry tank.

• 2 months later...
Hatching Baby Brine Shrimp

This is just a guideline and the way I do it so you might have a way that suits your needs better.

You will need:

Air pump

air tubing

2 liter pop bottle

air hose connector

some Styrofoam or some other way to fasten the bottle inside your tank

Brine Shrimp mix:

1 Liter of tap water

1/2 tsp of BBS eggs ( I use Ocean Nutritian)

1 tbs of rock salt

1/8 tsp of baking soada

1/8 tsp of epson salt

Here's a pick that shows you how I float the hatchery in my tank. I put Styrofoam around the top also to float the bottle

DSC_0075.jpg

Directions:

To hatch eggs successfully place the recommended amount of sea salt to each liter of 80 degres (28 Celsius) tap water, add mixture of 1/2 tsp of eggs, 1/8 tsp of Epson salt, 1/8tsp baking soda, and 1 tbs of rock salt. Proper temperature control is the key so if your floating it in your tank your fine. Add the air line to the bottom of the hatching vessel. Make sure air keeps eggs in suspension for best results. Eggs will hatch into very tiny, nearly microscopic `Nauplii` (babies) in 18 to 30 hours. You can harvest by the removing the air tube and waiting five minutes for the BBS ( will be orange near bottom of cone) to come to the bottom of the bottle. Then siphon them with more air tubing into a brine shrimp net, rinse with fresh water if you like but I never, and feed to your fish. Some people just siphon the eggs right into the fry tank.

That seems like a good item to become a sticky in the diy section.