Cyprichromis utinta & What Else?

punman

What cichlids could I add to a 90 gallon four foot tank of twelve adult Cyprichromis Utintas? These are breeding fish and I would like them to keep breeding. I strip the females and the fry get raised elsewhere.

I was wondering if Enantiopus kilesa would be compatible and have enough room.

I am open to other Lake Tanganyika or Malawi choices as well.

You could easily add some Paracyprichromis nigripinis, but that'd be kinda more of the same. Gobies cichlids are said to be a bit more quiet as far as Rift Lake cichlids go. N. leleupi tend to stay to the bottom and rocks, and are quite bright and off-setting from your Cyps. Synodontis would be a nice addition, as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I kept Enantiopus kilesa with my cyps and they got together nicely as well as paracyps.. paracyps and cyps wont interbreed which is nice.. I liked the combo of both of them.. and nice to have the kilesa cuz they stay on the bottom.. The only place u can really get them is through spencer.. as far as i know .. no one breeds them..

I got in some Altolamprologus compressiceps "Lufubu", and Enantiopus sp. Kilesa through Spencer Jack and they are in my 90 gallon tank with the Cyps Utinta. everyone gets along fine. The 7 Kilesa are 1.5-2 inches and the 6 compressiceps around an inch.

This is the setup of my 90 gallon Tanganyika tank made up of Cyprichromis leptosoma Utinta, Altolamprologus compressiceps "Lufubu", Enantiopus sp. Kilesa. The cyps are a breeding group of mostly adults and I have had them for many months in this tank. I have recently added the 6 compressiceps (one inch in length) and the 7 kilesa (1.5-2 inches in length).

A question about the tank setup. I know the cyps are open water swimmers so I don't have or want many rocks or caves. If the kilesa are anything like the foai I had in the past, they don't want a lot of rock cover either. But what about the compressiceps? Is this setup fine until they mature and pair off and at what size do they do that?

Also, does anyone know at what size the E. kilesa start to colour up?

dsc9043a.jpg

dsc9097a.jpg

dsc8992a.jpg

dsc9078a.jpg

• 5 months later...

Nice choice dude.Awesome pics.Always wanted to try kilesa.Just picked up 3f/1m Ophthalmotilapia ventralis last week to go with my 8 cyp kitumbas.

Where did you find the O. ventralis?

I am surprised to see this thread resurrected. I started it over 6 months ago. The comps are starting to grow and dig among the rocks and the kilesa are 3 inches with the males showing nice colour but the females don't seem too interested yet.

Hey punman.Got the O Ventralis at Picses Calgary.Picked the dominant male[nice blue] and 3f.Was a sub male in tank too.Might still be there.Read that you had Foae.On my list when I get a bigger tank.How was your experience with them.Cheers Rob

I had foai sibwesa in a 180 with cyps for a time. Started with about ten juveniles. Males were gorgeous at spawning time. The silver females were not a bad colour either for nondescript females. That is probably the one fish I got rid of that I regret. It needs to the boss of the tank though. Can't put aggressive stuff in with it so you are somewhat limited. I found a pic of mine on my computer so I post a picture below.

dsc5304reducesl1.jpg