Pond liners

Bandi

Hi, I am new to ponds. Don't have one yet, only contemplating one at this time. But can someone tell me why all the pre-formed plastic ponds and all the pond liners I see for sale in the shops are always black? Doesn't that make the pond look darker then needed? Why not pool blue? Wouldn't that look more cheery and show fish better?

I am asking because there is probably and very good reason for the black color...I just can't figure it out :wacko:

I think it might be that in a pond you donèt want to have to clean up every single day to keep it looking clean not to mention the fish stand out allot better on a black background and are much easier to see in my opinion. Allthough i have contemplated buying one of those colapseable pools to put Kuchi in for the summer.

This is speculation but ièm pretty sure the wonderfull people at Natures Corner Store could answer this much better than I

Good luck

L

Years ago, there was another liner available that looked like river stones and pebbles. It was lighter weight and stiffer than the black stuff available now. I used it for my pond. I can't say that it enhanced the look of the pond and the algae growing on the sides was definitely visible.

Pictured below: a corner of the pond that shows the liner under the rim and a view of the bottom of the pond after running for a couple of months

I have built ponds with green and grey liners as well. Black is just standard - cheaper/easier to make. Besides, when I do a pond, you don't see any liner at all - it gets covered completely by rock and gravel. The rock and gravel also add lots of surface area for beneficial bacteria.

I currently use one of those collapsible kiddie pools, the bottom is blue - at least at first, but it soon accumulates debris and it stands out quite well...

For my permanent pond I plan to use one of those UFA water troughs - it may be blue, but a small layer of gravel will cure that. Main reason I am choosing the UFA tub is that it will outlive a flexible liner and is built for a bit of abuse.

I was planning on doing some digging. I was thinking about 2000-3000 gallon pond with waterfall. I got all the pumps, filters and deicers I need. But everything is still just a figment of my imagination at this time. Will probably wait until spring to start digging.