Allergy to bloodworms?

Crystal

I was handling frozen bloodworms and about 10 minutes afterwards I was sneezing like crazy, with running nose, and slightly watery eyes. I only just connected the sneezing fits and bloodworms, as I was trying to add up the similarities of previous experiences.

It took two days for my nose to stop running and then become uncongested - even with extra strength allergy pills!

Thank goodness, the dried bloodworms do not seem to bother me.

I will be tossing the frozen bloodworms out... Although as far as I know I have no allergies...

Anyone else have this problem?

I was handling frozen bloodworms and about 10 minutes afterwards I was sneezing like crazy, with running nose, and slightly watery eyes. I only just connected the sneezing fits and bloodworms, as I was trying to add up the similarities of previous experiences.

It took two days for my nose to stop running and then become uncongested - even with extra strength allergy pills!

Thank goodness, the dried bloodworms do not seem to bother me.

I will be tossing the frozen bloodworms out... Although as far as I know I have no allergies...

Anyone else have this problem?

As far as I know..... a common allergy. You can use gloves to handle them, as it mostly a contact allergy.

John

I'm also allergic to them. I no longer use the dry ones, but the frozen ones are fine as long as I don't touch them. I also have to remember not to put my arm in the tank for a couple hours after feeding them since it makes my skin itchy.

I'm also allergic to them. I no longer use the dry ones, but the frozen ones are fine as long as I don't touch them. I also have to remember not to put my arm in the tank for a couple hours after feeding them since it makes my skin itchy.

yup me as well. I used to get really stuffed and my hands would turn red and start burning. For some reason I seem to be building a resistance to it now. Have not had a flair up in months.

Strange...

The last time I fed frozen bloodworms (about 15yrs ago), I got hives so bad that my eye were swollen shut!

I'm the same as Werner, I never handle them, the one time I did I got hives on my fingers (I only touched them for a second). I found the frozen ones were better since I was more likely to inhale dust from the freeze dried ones. I have an easier time not touching them then trying not to inhale dust.