Filter for fry

MrMagic

What is the best type of filter to use in a breading tank of Guppies? A regular filter will obviously suck them up.

This'll probably get moved to the Breeding section of the Forum but to answer your question a Sponge filter that you would attatch a air pump to, or a BIG chunk of fine enough foam that the fishies won't get through overtop of the intake of any normal filter. My Eheim would suck them up but they'd just end up stuck in the bottome of the cannister so not too much of a worry there.

Good luck and

:welcome:

L

p.s. you might need more then one depending on the size of the tank.

What is the best type of filter to use in a breading tank of Guppies? A regular filter will obviously suck them up.

I've always found that an air driven spounge filter the best, don't forget that a well aged spounge filter will have a lot of microscopic animal life in it that the smaller fry can feed on particulary if you had it in a planted tank before moving it to the fry tank

• 2 months later...

I use a sponge filter and a cannister on my shellie tank. When I see babies I just hijack a roaming spongfilter from one of my other tanks and use a powerhead with it. I use the cannister somewhere else untill the babies are large enough.