noisy aquaclear 500

Bluecan

Hey guys i have a second hand AC500 and its just rattling away, im just curious if anyone has any tips or experience with this? I have cleaned it out and pulled it all apart a few times, im just debating on wether i should get a new impeller or buy new? ...

also any thought and opinions on other large HOB's that you could suggest if i do buy new would be appreaciated, from the research i have done so far they seem to get the best overall rating though.....?!

?!?

They are the best but they do wear out....the shaft needs to be replace and the impeller. but for a qwick repair turn the shaft ovef in side. ?Use pliers to pull out shaft and tap back into place should help short term but there is no better filter.

Hey guys i have a second hand AC500 and its just rattling away, im just curious if anyone has any tips or experience with this? I have cleaned it out and pulled it all apart a few times, im just debating on wether i should get a new impeller or buy new? ...

also any thought and opinions on other large HOB's that you could suggest if i do buy new would be appreaciated, from the research i have done so far they seem to get the best overall rating though.....?!

?!?

I love my aquaclears and wouldn't give them up for anything!! One thing that has worked for me, is to shoot some Pam (cooking spray) around the impeller. It's safe for the fish(unless you fry them in it!!) and can be scooped off the top of the water after.

k thanks guys, i just tried the pam thing, seems to improved slightly ....but still sounds kind of like an air pump...and from what ive read from the manufacturers u should hear only water...so perhaps ill have to pick up some new parts, if they dont do the trick then theyll serve as extras for the new one anyways, just wanted to see if someone could suggest a cheaper brand and tips, thanks!

The shafts are about $3 at big als but the impellers are cheaper at golds so just ask dennis at golds to match the shaft to big als price im sure he will. I have fixed tons of my AC's that way they are the one and only best filter! Once you fix the impler and shaft it will last you anouther 5-8 years!

There are cheaper HOB filters out there but the thing with them is they only last about a year or less and if something goes wrong with them you cant fix them and something always goes wrong with them. AC's are only about $20 more then the cheaper ones and it is a much better choice. My oldest ones are about 8 years old now! And my grandfather has some of the very first ones that they started making and is still running them!

I have done the other way many time were I only rplacedthe shaft as itd the first thing that starts to wear down. Usually the $3 fix works fine for me I rarly ever need to replace the impeller. But I guess anyway works as long as you replace something.

I have done the other way many time were I only rplacedthe shaft as itd the first thing that starts to wear down. Usually the $3 fix works fine for me I rarly ever need to replace the impeller. But I guess anyway works as long as you replace something.

If you are going to the ACE meeting on tuesday i have a couple replacement shafts sitting around i can bring if you would like.

Personally I'd buy a TOPFIN filter over an aquaclear for 3 BIG reasons.

1. Topfin has a lifetime warrenty and if you bring it in to any Petsmart they will replace it no mater how old it is.

2. It has a high back so no worries about the filter overflowing like i have had the aquaclear do to me more than three times in a couple of different ways.

3. COST :thumbs:

Just my opinion Good luck.

L

update...replaced the shaft it made a big difference still not completely silent, but ill give it until i complete my move in the new year to quiet down the rest of the way and the impeller to slime up, then ill replace the impeller and see how that works, but it is quite a difference already makes it more tolerable

thanks for the help