Wild Caught

ÐÉÅÑ

Just wanted to see peoples opinion on wild caught fish and the ethics behind it.

I support wild caught in some areas of the hobby and not in others.

Buy a wild fish <article

also from Ornamental Fish International (OFI), a worldwide trade association representing all sectors of the ornamental aquatic industry. >Here< is a little about wild caught

Wild caught for breeding programs is fine by me but for boasting rights is not. The reason is that a high percentage of wild caught specimens die before they even get to market. I have heard percentages as high as eighty percent which means that eight WC specimens had to perish for just two to make it to your tank. So as long as you are using them for breeding purposes, the sacrifice for the most part is acceptable.

sometimes, wild caught is the only option

i have a few wild fish but only because captive bred speceimens are simply not available..For example, I keep tarpon which are not bred in captivity, so wild caught was my only option.

I personally dont think there is any problem with it as long as the numbers in the wild arent affected. Regardless if they are wild caught or tank born they are still the exact same animal, so if they are taken care of in the proper environment there should be no differentiating between the two as to who deserves to be in a lake or a tank, they are both the same. With that said , if the capture process causes a lot of stress and death etc and the option to buy captive stock is availible thats the better way to go. If you dont believe wild caught should be in tanks, than you should feel the same about captive bred.

If someone's a collector (like most of us are), then they'd want to make sure they're getting what they're paying for. Especially for African cichlids - they hybridize so easily, so buying wild (or close to) give you a better chance in getting what you want.

I own about 50% wild caught 50% captive bred. Some fish that are considered "wild caught" are actually farm bred in large pools in California, Florida, and in various places in SE Asia.

I actually prefer captive bred fish as they don't seem to stress as easy or get sick, in my opinion. But like hybrid said, sometimes the only option is wild caught. I myself have a bunch of Bass and a couple Cichlids which are wild caught. I hope one day I can breed them and spread the captive bred babies out and about in the hobby.