unexplained death :(

Vallisneria

Today is not starting off so well. I woke up and turned on my tank lights only to find my favorite fish dead. M adult P.electra male was laying under my anubia. I have no idea how he died. He was fine yesterday. He was struting around like normal and was eating. HE didn't look sick.Why would he all of a sudden die? I scooped him out of the tank and looked him over. HIs belly isn't distended, nothing suck in his mouth. Body looks ok. The tank parameters are all good: ammo-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-10 ph 7.8 temp 78.

HIs tank mates are a adult male red empress,7 syno. petricola and 8 juvie yellow labs. I just added the labs last monday but before that i had them in a Q tank for 2 months(and i got them from kyle) so i dont' think they brought in disease. Everyone else in the tank is fine.

Why do fish just sometimes die for no reason(or no reason you can see)? THis has happened to me before where i wake up and fine a previously healthy fish dead the next day. MY tank is "peaceful" and the bodies don't have any real damage so i dont' think it is from other fish killing them. I had this same thing happen last year with a male red empress. Wake up and find him dead when the night before he looked and ate fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? THis was my favorite fish and one of my very first africans. I"ve lost fish before but this one has got me upset :cry:

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a similar experience last year with one of my blue diamond discus, ate and swam like normal the night before, when I awoke I found him dead with no signs of disease/fighting??????

~Reza~

Edited by Reza

Degrassi,

Did you recently do a water change? What part of the city are you from if you dont mind me asking? With spring here the water from the tap can be really goofy lots of extra additives added this time of year. Just a thought.:)

Sry about your loss,

(Just noticed you have your location in another post) Check the water quality link off of fish-club.org see what it says.

Sammy

Edited by Sammy

THAT SUCKS! Check all of your electrical connections and see if you can rule out electricution, not likely ,but worth a look,also if you have an in tank thermometer that is glass it could've broken and could be poisoning all of your fish .It sounds stupid but it happened to me before. If your test kits are old they may not be accurate. Sometimes you never figure it out and that really sucks. Hope that helps,Ryan.

I did a water change last week when i added the yellow labs. Didn't notice any problems after it. IF it was water related wouldn't it have affected the more sensitive fish first?

My test kits are new, just bought them last month. Don't think it was electrical. All the heaters are working well and if it was electricution wouldnt' it affect all the fish?

IT wasn't old age either as the fish was only a couple years(I think almost 3).

I guess i'll never know :(

Now i begin my quest to find some new ones

Sorry to hear about your Electra, Val. :(

I wish I had some insight into how/why this could have happened, but I don't. :wacko:

I'll let you know if I come across any for sale.

Doc_Polit B)

Edited by Doc_Polit

I'll let you know if I come across any for sale

Thanks, I"ve actually had some problems finding some. THe only place that had any was big al's and they were fairly expensive(considering i'd need to buy a bunch to get a decent ratio of m/f).

So if anyone finds some let me know