south american cichlids?

m&mhills

Guest Master of Puppets

Around edmonton pretty much no where but Henry at Natures Corner Store told me he ordered some juvies in from spencer jack so go check them out or give him a pm.

Depends on what you are looking for, Natures Corner is by far the best, Big Als has had some nice stuff in the past, super Family pets in the Park has a decent selection but it goes quick when it comes in. Other then that not many other places around town that carry more then the "basics".

South Americans can be hard to find sometimes. A good way is to look at Spencer Jack's list. He usually has a nice selection of South American cichlids. Henry at Nature's Corner does do group orders from Spencer Jack once in a while and if you get in on it, you get some great fish (some hard to find in Edmonton) at great prices.

I place orders about every 3 to 4 months direct from the wholesalers in South America so these fish are all wild caughts. Let me know what you are interested in and I can advise availability and price. My next order will be likely be the 1st week or so of March and it will be coming out of Brazil.

I place orders about every 3 to 4 months direct from the wholesalers in South America so these fish are all wild caughts. Let me know what you are interested in and I can advise availability and price. My next order will be likely be the 1st week or so of March and it will be coming out of Brazil.

whats the chances of you being able to get ahold of electric blue dempseys? I can't believe how helpful people are on this site it's great! thanks again for all the help.

whats the chances of you being able to get ahold of electric blue dempseys? I can't believe how helpful people are on this site it's great! thanks again for all the help.

As far as I know EBJD are not wild caught they are a domestic strain.

That is correct - electric blue jack dempseys are line breds. The fish I bring in are all wild caughts.

thanks for the help. I am looking to populate a 120g tank with pictus cats, white belly psuedosharks for my wife and i'd like to put cichlids in with them. What is a colorful less aggresive cichlid i may be able to add to the tank? Thats why i asked about the electric blue as they are supposed to be smaller and less aggressive

If you are looking for smaller fish with color I would suggest maybe rams, tetras or apistos. There are literally dozens of tetras and apistos to choose from.

I'm not familiar with the pseudosharks however so you would have to check compatability with these smaller fish.

Many of the larger varieties of South Americans can get pretty nasty as they grow.

With a pictus and a shark, rams and tetras would eventually end up as food. Nicer cichlids that get bigger and not nasty would be sevrums, rainbows and the like. Generally, the cichlids with that body shape (more round or plate-shaped) are less aggressive than cichlids with a longer body shape.