Filter canesters

Raven

I went to petsmart to take a look at their 2 types of filter canesters. Im sick of running 2 filters and want something better, and not so expencive of the energy side.first i need some opinions.

I really like my rena xp3...has three baskets...for mechanical, chemical and biological filtration. i use it mainly for mechanical and biological. I find it fairly quiet and dont need to re-prime after each time i clean it. I find it easier to install as well.

this is my experience as for now. I have never tried fluval or eheim. if money is not an issue, go for an eheim...pretty much the gold standard of canister filters.

js

I got the rena xp2. I didnt have enough for the 3 and the 2 was large enough for the tank. I noticed theres alot of layers to it, and i was told i can add different media, but what?

I got it up and running, but im worried that i didnt put the pipes togther tightly enough. Im just going to let it run for tonight and hopefully in wont spring a leak.... just how tight are they suposed to be??

I had to push the hard plastic pieces together with quite some force to get them to join completely, once together though they STAY together. Never had them leak. Only part that has broken was an elbow joint that sat in the water and joins the horizontal outlet to the U-shape piece on the back of the tank. Darn replacement costs about $8 for two from Big Al's. :grr:

If you are referring to the plastic hoses then they are also very reliable, for me anyway. Push them over atleast three of the ribs on the base unit and you should be fine.

~Reza~

ok, got everything hooked up tightly, just had to get some manly muscles. lol. The fish seem to be doing fine now, they dont struggle against the current anymore.

Good advice FP.

If you have the money get a Eheim(No question), but best bang for the buck is the Rena filters.

I'm with J-Roc in that Eheim is the Mercedes of filters. I always had solid filtration with my Eheims. Eheim North America gets a two thumbs up from me for providing A-class customer service (ask me about it and I'll post the experience). Eheim is definitely my favorite, followed closely by the bio-wheels and Aqua Clears.

now if only i could rearange the pipes so that the water coming out wouldnt make so much fricking noise.

Spray bar noise.....I assume?

Place the spray bar lower in the water column, OR, point the bar down at a 45 degree angle. This will eliminate noise and create a nice circular current.

The Doc B)