water polishing

Bluecan

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get my water Crystal clear. Its pretty clear as it is but its just not at that almost perfectly crystal clear that i really like?! specific media that would help?

Most people use polyester filter material, the white fluffy stuff you get at the LFS.

You can buy it at a sewing store or in bags at Wally-world type places.

Get the batts for quilts, not the loose bags, that's for pillows.

Use it as the last media that your water flows through and your water will come out nice.

If that's not clear enough you'll have to use a diatom filter.

It's a separate canister that temporarily hangs on the side and filters through Diatomaceous earth to filter down to about 3 microns, if I remember correctly.

Thanks I think Im going to use an extra HOB with some scrubbies on the bottom followed by some of that the polyester material and try that out

That should work fine.

Don't forget to let us know how it works.

just make sure you buy the quilt batting that doesn't have any sort of anti-mildew or any chemical treatments in it at all.

the bag i bought from Zellers a while back is "Sunburst" brand. clear bag with orange and blue on it. if i recall correctly, less than 10 bucks for a big bag that i'm still not near the end of and i bought it last summer, lol.

To get water crystal clear, see if you can find a diatom filter. They filter down to 1 micron - pretty much the only thing to get thru is water.

Diatom filters have been rumoured to start filtering out minerals after a while. I'm not sure how accurate that is, as many pools use diatom filters and are run continuously. You can get a Diatom filter from Vortex - usually around $150 for a new one (the small model). The HOT Magnum can be adapted to run as a diatom filter as well.

What kind of filter do you have? A lot of different companies actually sell "polishing pads" to add to their specifis filters. I bought one for my Fluval 404, and it made quite a difference.