Stock limit

Jay Huska

<!--quoteo(post=2208137:date=Jan 16 2010, 10:21 AM:name=timbruun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (timbruun @ Jan 16 2010, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2208137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll need to specify which africans you are thinking about. Some get along while others don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Look on the cichlid forum under quick reference, then cookie cutter setups. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/quick_reference_list.php . It only goes up to 75 gallons so you'll have to do some tweaking but at least it tells you who can go with who without the danger of cross breeding or serious aggression.

Theresa

Edited to fix link.

Edited by Ted

Just wondering what number of africans I can put in my tank, it is 125 gallon and has an FX5 for filtration I was thinking 35-40, 2 males 6 females of 4 or 5 species. What u think

There is no set rule . However if you are combining males and females in a 125 gallon. I would not go more than 3 groups. The males will want to claim territory for them and thier females. Too many groups will probably be a big mistake. Start with 3 males and thier chicks and see how that goes. Make sure there are caves and hideaways the they can make home. The males will chase the females and they too need places of refuge.

Edited by GREGMAN

I would generally stick with the rule of thumb 1 inch of fish per gallon. Every fish however will grow up to be a different size, so do your research so that you don't out grow your tank in the future. I tend to overstock a little bit on my african tank, because I find that it tends to spread aggression out, so theres less fuss.

As far as the groups go, I would not go any more than 3 as well. When you team up different species with males and females fighting for territory constantly, you could have issues. Like GREGMAN said, LOTS of hiding places should cut down the aggression quite a bit.

The type of species you're looking at will also be a big influence. For instance if you were going to have a few convicts, good luck trying many other types of cichlids. They are mean little buggers!

Hey Jay,

We need a little more information:

1) What Lake do you prefer? Tanganyika, Victoria, Malawi?

2) Do you want a species tank or community tank?

3) In regard to Malawis, do you prefer Mbuna, Haps or Peacocks?