fish crash

Jay Huska

Is it possible to run API general cure and API E.M. Erythromycin at the same time, I babysat some fish for a friend who was in a real tough situation, now things are nuckin' futs. I have lost 3 fish, german reds have hole in the head, other fish look to have cloudy eyes, fin rot and some sort of skin ailment. Tried Melafix at first, nothing. Next was Kanaplex, nothing. Out of ideas, poor little guys, feel like such a bad dad....any help would be appreciated

I know everyone always wants to go straight to the meds and when you tell people something simple like lots of water changes no one listens. It sounds like bad water to me. I'd be doing some massive water changes.

I agree, daily w/c, continue for at least a week, at least 25% each time, it works for me, even if you can only manage 15% daily it will help more than anything else. and I add prime, but i am not a great believer in chemicals.

good luck, i always worry like crazy when i babysit a friends heavily loaded discus tank that something like that will happen.

nancy

I pulled a dumbo move a few months ago and cross contaminated my tank with a bad net I had used in a quarantine tank and had very similar symptoms. I found the Melafix worked with Pimafix but it did take a couple of weeks to clear up and I lost a few fish along the way. I know the stuff is expensive to treat a large tank but I have quite a bit of each if you need it.

Yes API E.M. Erythromycin will help out I have used this many time when tanks have been going for the worse. But be sure to take the carbon out of your tank when treating with any meds as the carbon will take all the meds out and then they wont serve any purpose. Also be sure to do the 25% water changes every day or 2 and then add more meds after and the problem should go away. I would turn up the temp about 5-7 degrees higher during the treatment. Also get that water tested as if you have fish dieing and they stay in the tank for any amount of time the ammonia will rise and that will make you ammonia rise more higher and the fish will just keep dieing.

Good luck I hope the best.

Oh and yes when you put new water in be sure to use water conditioner as the fish are stressed enough and if they have skin issues and you just put fresh water in the tank with no conditioner can you imagine how much the chlorine in our water would burn the poor fish!

Edited by bigfishal

do you currently have carbon in at this time. Sometimes chemicals in the water will cause mass die offs. If you put fresh carbon in the filter for about 12-24hrs you will pull out any bad chemicals (air fresheners/and anything that might have gotten into your water off your hands.

pulled the carbon out a while ago, when I tried melafix, my wife started general cure yesterday (bless her heart) while I am out of town, as soon as it has run it;s course the carbon will go back in. She has separated one species into another tank. She has become a self proclaimed waterchange master she says, since she was "voluntold" to be fish mom.

Time will tell what happens, against my better judgement I put these guys in my tank, now look where I am, out looking for a hospital tank I should have used as a quaranteen tank in the first place.......figuring crap out one disaster at a time.....ARG!

Any other advice is totally appreciated, cause I'm not the first nor the last dummy to do this!lol