Where and What Type Of Sand 4 Tanks

LadyBlue

Hi I remember a post about buying 50 pound bags of play sand to use in Aquariums but I lost the post containinh where it is sold, if anyone can remember I'd appreciate it. Thanking You In Advance ....Linda...

Hi I remember a post about buying 50 pound bags of play sand to use in Aquariums but I lost the post containinh where it is sold, if anyone can remember I'd appreciate it. Thanking You In Advance ....Linda...

Home Depot has it for about 8 bucks a bag, if you want some, let me know & I'll pick some up for you. I'll lend you my sand & gravel washer, it'll wash 50lbs. in about 10 mins.

Home Depot has it for about 8 bucks a bag, if you want some, let me know & I'll pick some up for you. I'll lend you my sand & gravel washer, it'll wash 50lbs. in about 10 mins.

May I ask where you bought/made such a thing and do you have pictures? Explaining might be just as easy too :P.

Thanks in advance,

Garrett

May I ask where you bought/made such a thing and do you have pictures? Explaining might be just as easy too :P.

Thanks in advance,

Garrett

I've got to wash some sand for my new 120 gallon on Sunday, so I'll take some pictures & post them. It's a DYI project & costs about 25 bucks to make, & I've never seen anything as fast or effective to get the job done.

IME, you want Quickrete brand Play Sand sold at Home Depot. It is clean. I have added it right from the bag to full tanks with very minimal clouding; added it to empty tanks with NO clouding. Other brands are VERY cloudy, IME.

from what i've read, pool filter sand is good, since the grains are 'heavier' than play sand. but try finding the stuff! lol. both home depot and canadian tire don't carry it....... i looked!

good to know about the quickrete play sand Jason, thanks. i grabbed a bag of that the other weekend but have held off rinsing and adding it to the tank due to time constraints.

Target Play-sand from Home Depot worked for me. Mild rinsing.

I found a place that serviced pools off of Blackfoot in Calgary five years ago - bought some pool filter sand from them for about $9 for 50 lbs. They did not have it last time so I went with the Target - a bit cheaper and not much different.

I went with the silica sand from Sil industries. I can't quite remember the name of it but they have samples in a cute little spice rack thingie right there at the front desk so you can pick and choose. I really like it because there was NO RINSEING or other debris and i added it straight to my tanks. The Cichlids are even sifting it through their gills with no ill effects.

They are located just off Yellowhead trail just after you pass over the river towards sherwood park. take the first turn off and then head along the side road in the same direction as you were going on the yellowhead and the building has orange on it. They will even load it for you! It cost me 20 bucks for a big big bag that is more than 50 pounds.

Maybe this is what you were looking for?

Good luck and if you have questins don't hesitate to pm me.

Have a great day

L