Coral Life T-5 Lighting

punman

I have one Coral Life T-5 unit with a double bulb for one tank, my other tanks have standard fixtures with single T-8 bulbs. I need a strip for another four foot tank and am thinking of Coral-life again for a cichlid tank. Been pretty happy with it.

Have any of you tried Coral-Life and regretted it or gone back to the standard, say All-glass deluxe strip or similar?

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of T-5 vs T-8 lighting?

Edited by punman

• 1 month later...

I have one Coral Life T-5 unit with a double bulb for one tank, my other tanks have standard fixtures with single T-8 bulbs. I need a strip for another four foot tank and am thinking of Coral-life again for a cichlid tank. Been pretty happy with it.

Have any of you tried Coral-Life and regretted it or gone back to the standard, say All-glass deluxe strip or similar?

T5 Lighting is higher effiiciency as well as greater light output. Same as the differance was between T12 lighting and T8. Smaller diameter tubes with greater efficiency and better light output.

T5 Lighting is higher effiiciency as well as greater light output. Same as the differance was between T12 lighting and T8. Smaller diameter tubes with greater efficiency and better light output.

I don't believe the T5 would add any value if you have no plant in the tank.

The only benefits of a T5 over T8 for your purpose would be energy consumption (tho, I doubt the difference would be measurable w. just 2 bulbs) and size - a T5 fixture would have a lower profile, if that matters to you.

Edited by jvision

The reflector makes the most difference, then the power consumption. T5 uses better reflectors unless you buy a T8 unit with similar reflectors. The T5's use less energy than the T8's if you are comparing natural output (NO) to itself. They also produce less heat.

I would go with the T5 if you are looking for a slimer and lighter alternative. However, if the costs are much higher, go with T8. You will have more money in your pocket for other goods.