Has anyone ever used a rubbermaid storage bin as a pond?

Wackinator

Hey I was wondering if anyone had ever used a rubbermaid storage bin as a pond?

I was curious if I could use that as a livebearer grow out tank or even to keep a gold or 2 outside?

I was interested in the 189L rubbermaid storage which I believe is 50 gallons?

Here is a link for its picture.

http://www.walmart.ca/Canada-FeaturedPage.jsp?selection=listingDetails&assetId=48864&imageId=67314&departmentId=218&categoryId=1471&tabId=0

Any suggestions? Will it not be able to handle the pressure and bend or something? Could I build a support thing around it with a couple pieces of wood and board?

Thanks guys

That one may be a bit flimsy. If you could bury it the sides would be fine. I use a similar one of about 100l for mixing saltwater change water, and every time I fill it it sags a bit worse. One of these days I'm afraid the wife is going to be really mad. Maybe look around at farm supply stores and find a water trough for animals. They are made to hold up under the strain and work well. I've used them lots for ponds.

That one may be a bit flimsy. If you could bury it the sides would be fine. I use a similar one of about 100l for mixing saltwater change water, and every time I fill it it sags a bit worse. One of these days I'm afraid the wife is going to be really mad. Maybe look around at farm supply stores and find a water trough for animals. They are made to hold up under the strain and work well. I've used them lots for ponds.

I honestly dont know of any farm supply stores but yeah I will ask around, and I wasnt going to bury it which is another issue as we live on rent I dont know how the landlords might take it.

I was wondering if I would be able to build a support brace or something for it to stop it from going flimsy.

It would have been a lot cheaper than a getting a grow out tank.

Thanks

U.F.A Farm Supply Store ..... They Sell All Sizes ! There Main Purpose Is For Horse , Sheep , Cow And So On To Provide Water ... They In Fact Have A Hugeeeee One That I Believe Is Aprox 800 Gal ... I Worked For The Distribution Center Here In Edmonton And They Have A Farm Supply Store Right IN Calgary

Blake

I was curious if I could use that as a livebearer grow out tank or even to keep a gold or 2 outside?

http://www.walmart.ca/Canada-FeaturedPage.jsp?selection=listingDetails&assetId=48864&imageId=67314&departmentId=218&categoryId=1471&tabId=0

Any suggestions? Will it not be able to handle the pressure and bend or something? Could I build a support thing around it with a couple pieces of wood and board?

Thanks guys

We have a pair of them, and they are flimsy once filled past 1/2. I would not expect it to last seveal years. Dirt will add some support ifwell packed, but if you added a few braces to the outside the plastic would just deform around them.

You could ask your landlord or PMGR, and I suspect as long as you fill it in and repair the grass you will be fine, but should they come buy and just find it there could be friction and or packing.

You will also find low cost pond liners (think I saw one today) that mak everything easier as it i what it was designed for and does not look as goofy sitting in the ground.

Thanks guys

We have a pair of them, and they are flimsy once filled past 1/2. I would not expect it to last seveal years. Dirt will add some support ifwell packed, but if you added a few braces to the outside the plastic would just deform around them.

You could ask your landlord or PMGR, and I suspect as long as you fill it in and repair the grass you will be fine, but should they come buy and just find it there could be friction and or packing.

You will also find low cost pond liners (think I saw one today) that mak everything easier as it i what it was designed for and does not look as goofy sitting in the ground.

Thanks, and yeah from what Ive been reading thats definitely out, and I wasnt looking to start a pond or anything, just a grow out container for fries that would be like a pond, I'll be looking around for huge buckets or anything that works.

Thanks guys

Edited by blackbelt609

Hello,

I have had a pond for the past few years now...but only started to keep Koi this past winter inside. Also in a Rubbermaid Container 189L...yes it does sag half full.

Definitely check out that UFA Farm Supply Store...let you know of the prices.

Thanks,

G.

Rubbermaid makes stock tanks (for watering farm animals) in 75, 100, 150 and I believe 200 gallons. Heavy duty material that will not bend or deform. Check UFA or a CO-OP Agro centre. I know the 100 gallon is about $160.