Discus & Angelfish

frozenballs

Hi all - just got a 210 gallon tank and am deciding what to put in it. Thought about Discus and/or Angelfish. Is there a compatibility issue with those fish? As well, what sort of cleaning type fish would be good (ones that will not eat eggs if I have some breeders)?

Welcome to the forum. welcomeani.gif

It is not recommended as the angel fish will out-compete the discus for food. Maybe check out the discus forum www.simplydiscus.com and do some reading there are lots of good tank mates.

Bristle nose will do a good job cleaning the glass.

J

Edited by geleen

I was in Golds yesterday and in his big discus tank above the desk, spotted an angelfish. Not sure if this helps??? As for myself, I breed angelfish but would never keep them together. But there's a different reason, I would never want a fish that's more "high maintenance" than myself -roll-

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm in a 210 i'd put something bigger but if your interested in discus and angelfish then put them together! I did it in my 180 successfully for awhile but heres a few tips if you do it.

1) ALWAYS more discus than angels this helps even the balance as angels are a little more aggressive preferrably a 2 to 1 ratio (two discus to one angel)

2) Feed often, in order to keep aggression down i suggest feeding twice a day, you dont have to but happy stuffed fish are less likely to nip at each other

3) Don't soften your water! (or drop the pH) make them adjust (trust me in the long run you'll be A LOT happier) plus its less maintenance :)

4) Frequent water changes, i did 50% a week why? discus need perfectly clean water in order to thrive and it also helps keep aggression down (or at least it did for me)

Now i see a lot of people telling you to go to simplydiscus which is fine its a great resource HOWEVER they will tell you that there is only one "right" way of raising discus, that is by themselves(as in species only tanks) in a barebottom tank, this is utter bull. its just one way, i had planted discus community tanks for almost four years and i never had a problem.

MORAL of the story for me: I really like discus, they are amazing super colorful fish,(really boring to watch tho...) BUT after four years of them i had enough, why? they are more work than their worth IMO, Disease is ALWAYS a scare with them, it always seems like there is something wrong and trust me once you go on simply and see all the amazing fish, thats what you'll come to expect of yours, for me WAY too much work so i switched to arowanas :D don't get me wrong, i had stretches where it was great but they were short compared to the problems...

if i were to tell you anything from my experience it would be ok fine do it if you want, but when they keep getting sick on you, or dying, or just not being as colorful as they're supposed to be dont say we didnt warn you.

If i just got a new 210g you know what i'd do? i'd email Boydo @ Shine Aquatics and Get another Super Red, I LOVE my Aros everything is soo interesting with them, Feeding, WC and just watching, they're always on the move and the COLORS, waaayyyy better than discus they just sparkle and the maintenance is sooo easy. feed them and change the water and thats it. they never complain and they are tough so i dont have to worry about sickness.

Now if you really want to buy discus DO NOT BUY LOCAL, I'M TELLING YOU, YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF!!! i really can't stress that enough, the quality of fish around here compared to price is terrible, If you want awesome fish for an awesome price buy from one of the Canadian Vendors on Simply Discus, if you've never bought fish online before and arent sure how to do it shoot me a PM and i'll help you through the whole thing, i've brought fish in from EVERYWHERE including stingrays from Germany. Back to discus, April in Vancover C/O Aprils Aquarium has AWESOME discus and they are exceptionally priced as well, like i said before let me know and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont get impatient and buy from BA here in edmonton they will rip you off for discus, take it from everyone on here who cares for discus. If you look at the pictures of the stuff she brings in i promise you'll love your fish again let me know and i'll be happy to help :)

Mareshow

• 1 month later...