Plants for Cichlids

THUNDER

Hello all thx for reading. I have a African Cichlid tank full of mbunas. What types of plants could i put in that they will leave alone and not destroy?

Thx for reading Kyle Santos

72 gallon

2 OB Peacock Male and Female

2 Johanni or Maingano Male and female

2 Cobalt Zebra

1 Red Zebra

1 Albino Zebra

1 Acei

1 Electric Yellow Lab

1 Crabro (Bumble Bee)

1 Jewel

10 gallon

Johanni Fry

10 gallon

Two Green Spotted Puffers

Edited by THUNDER

Hello all thx for reading. I have a African Cichlid tank full of mbunas. What types of plants could i put in that they will leave alone and not destroy?

Plastic ones! I have never had luck with mbunda and plants....

It so much depends on your specific tank. and kind of mbunas....... trail and error...some fishes will destroy all, and others not.

I use valisnaria (2 kinds) anubias nana, sagitarius , bolbitis heudeloti, java fern, cryptocoyne wendtii and duckweed with electric yellows a few peacocks and some victorians.

While they dig some up, once in a while-when breeding- it works if you secure the roots with some rocks ....well for me this works. I also submerged a smaller (18") potted peace lily which appears to be ok in the last month...but will not last forever, sure looks nice.

I guess I got lucky.

John

Edited by geleen

I have found that if you start the fish off with plants when the fish are small, they'll leave the plants alone. I've had similar experiences as John - most plants are fine. It's just the delicate plants that get munched on, then.

My issue was more placement of plants. Anything near the sides of the tank or rocks got dug up. While plants that were more in the middle were left alone. They dug plants alot more on the day I don't feed also. Overall I had it so nothing really got dug up in the end.

with the 3 mbuna species i kept the only ones i had luck with where large java ferns, small ones got moved around. and nothing else survived long.

i have ob peacocks and a few other random cichlids in a 45 gallon tank and it is almost a medium planted tank. i have val's anubias, crinium, hornwart(floating) hygro angustifolia, java moss, java fern, crypts. all the plants are fine. the moss is constantly getting into the filter and plugging it up.

all the plants are doing fine. when i put a giant C. balanase in there they dug it up, but the i replanted and it has been fine ever since