African Cichlid Emergence

THUNDER

My Johanni female has been breeding for two months now with no problems. She just stoped eat a few days ago. I am pretty sure she is holding. Nothing to unusual but she has just started stay at one corner at the very top of the tank. She looks as if she is gasping for air and swiming odd up at the surface in the corner. Last time she was holding she hide behind a plant and barley moved. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her.

Thx for reading Kyle Santos

72 gallon

2 OB Peacock Male and Female

2 Johanni or Maingano Male and female

2 Cobalt Zebra

1 Red Zebra

1 Albino Zebra

1 Acei

1 Electric Yellow Lab

1 Crabro (Bumble Bee)

1 Jewel

10 gallon

Johanni Fry

10 gallon

Two Green Spotted Puffers

Edited by THUNDER

I dont think shes holding up top like that, They try to be safe when holding like hiding behind a plant for instance. \you can either see the eggs or not but gasping at the top is generally a sign of trouble.

hey buddy hope everything is ok. have you noticed any of your other guys spending time in her areas or taking shots at her? i remember when i had mine every time one was getting beaten up they would spend there time at the surface due to stress. it might be a good idea to move her to another tank until she looks better. is the male going after her maybe?

hope that everything goes ok.

Female mouthbrooders need some time to recover after holding their fry. If she is constantly breeding, after two months she's in rough shape. Do you have a quiet tank w/o a male that you can move her to?

I agree with what is said, she is stressed and needs to be moved to a quiet tank. I would also add stability and a bit of salt to her water just to help her through it.

I had a couple of frontosa's do that and didn't realize they were stressed, then I noticed one of the other fish picking on them, so I moved them they immediately went to the bottom of the tank and have not been to the top gasping since. I put aquarium salt and some stabiity into the tank and now have added more fronts, loaches, synodontis and auloncara and all are doing great.