180 Compatibility Opinions

GIJester

I hope this is the right section, as some of teh fish im going to mention might be oddballish in nature.

I have a new 180 Gallon Tank - 72 x 24 x 24, and have been getting very exited about getting my first motoro stingray (3"-6"). I was planning on a few different tank mates, but I'm not quite sure how they will do over all? eventually I wouldn't mind having 2 rays - and possibly a larger show tank but let me know what you guys think about some of the following fish:

Angels - Koi, Marbled, Blue, Red Shoulder, Altum and/or Chocolate

Eels - Fire or Peacock

Black Ghostknife

Congo Tetras

Possibly a Gar type

it would be light mix, maybe not all of them but there fish I tend to like. I do want to have a sand bottom (or very fine rounded gravel), and add a lot of trumpet snails (maintenance and snack foods). all decor such as rocks or driftwood would be rounded or sanded, and plants would be likely moss tied to higher branches in the wood.

I currently have 2 aquaclear 110's hanging on the back to begin cycling, I have been looking at the Ehiem 3 series Canisters, but open to ideas and opinions on maybe others.

thanks for your time

• 2 months later...

i have a 180 and that tank is WAY too small for a motoro, they grow pretty fast so i hope you expect to upgrade in about a year, also if you are doing rays two 110 hobs wont cut it. you need more. on mine i have 2 fx5s an eheim 2026 and another canister with a built in UV sterilizer. if you want rays you need big tank mates, they'll eat the "Angels - Koi, Marbled, Blue, Red Shoulder, Altum and/or Chocolate", the congo tetras will be taken out if small and the gar will maybe attack the ray. ghost knife maybe but if i were you i'd look into getting either arowanas, datnoids, feifengs or some other type of larger fish, heck if youre getting a motoro you'll have to upgrade for sure so you could go South american arowanas but if i were you since you can get them, get an asian aro, they are gorgeous, easy to keep and won't bug your ray at all.

this is my tank at the moment

_DSC0001.jpg

i have two scobina rays, they stay small but are hard to find. again if you are keeping rays you need A LOT of filtration like i mean twice as much as you would need normally

hope that helps!

well you sir are in luck, i have two scobina rays (stay the smallest of all rays) for sale, they are pretty hard to find but fortunately for you i have two i am willing to sell. you're other options are retics which are easy to find but incredibly hard to keep (finicky eaters and usually die quickly) and hystrix which are hard to find and if you do find them tough to get here

Thanks for the heads up. I think im gonna hold off on the rays until I can comfirm a larger tank (which I realyl want anyways in a year or so), ill make this one a community planted then. dont think im gonna go with a gar, but the Angels, Congo Tetra's and maybe something else - bottom tanksh.... a eel perhaps?

I'm also getting rid of those 2 hob filters, im torn between one of the eheim pro 3 series or a FX5 by hagen. ive kinda liked eheim, but im still reading reviews... was also thinking of one of those smaller canisters with substrat pro and a UV filter

Edited by GIJester

JESTER - I have a 210 with a couple rays, a few silver dollars, an asian arowana, clown loaches, a decent sized cat, a few large bichirs, and a BGK. I also have 420 gallons of filtration on it which barely covers the bioload for a week. I'd say go for the rays, maybe not motoro but scott has some wicked pearl/motoros he sells which I spoil and haven't come close to outgrowing the tank anytime soon. If I was you I would buy 2 pearl/motoros from scott (skynoch) and go buy an asian aro from shine aquatics or something. As long as you keep up with water changes, say maybe 50% every 4 to 6 days and put double the amount or even more filtration you shouldn't have a problem. The rays and aro would be the main fish, I would still throw in more. Gotta remember the feeding too, atleast twice a day for stingrays.

JLake - I would avoid the Jardini, they are horribly agressive. I have read countless stories or people thinking they have a super overly agressive Jardini and it turned out to be just an average tempered one. Go for a Green arowana if you don't want to spend much but want the Asian body style. Be warned though Greens are fairly agressive too.

If you want an idea of a similar sized tank Jlake drop me a PM and you can come look at my tank, I live within walking distance from you.

pagani - thats sounds like a potentially real nice tank. I'm going to be doing a sand bottom on it. I wonder if 2 FX5's with a eheim classic (with UV) would work. I can do 2 or 3 changes a week, and feeding shouldn't be an issue. I love arowana's, but I don't really know a lot of about them right now. the red ones are amazing to look at. do you think angels would still be a safe bet in a tank with them, im sure they would grow to be large enough to hold there own, ill still try planting a few areas - maybe raised behind a stone wall with gravel and some vals or hygro. I have a few nice large pieces or rock, id be worried about the rays on edges. If I were to file them over of round them a bit does anyone know if that would be ok. as for the sand base im planning a few inches think to allow for burrowing and fun.

open to opinions and compatibility on arowana's, gonna do alot of research on them as I go.

Edited by GIJester

pagani - thats sounds like a potentially real nice tank. I'm going to be doing a sand bottom on it. I wonder if 2 FX5's with a eheim classic (with UV) would work. I can do 2 or 3 changes a week, and feeding shouldn't be an issue. I love arowana's, but I don't really know a lot of about them right now. the red ones are amazing to look at. do you think angels would still be a safe bet in a tank with them, im sure they would grow to be large enough to hold there own, ill still try planting a few areas - maybe raised behind a stone wall with gravel and some vals or hygro. I have a few nice large pieces or rock, id be worried about the rays on edges. If I were to file them over of round them a bit does anyone know if that would be ok. as for the sand base im planning a few inches think to allow for burrowing and fun.

open to opinions and compatibility on arowana's, gonna do alot of research on them as I go.

i have a CV Maju SR Asian Arowana i can sell you if you'd like

let me know :)

I have a large aro and stigray in my 180. Filtered with 2 ac 110 and fluval 404. If you keep up with the water changes you should be fine. AC 110 is one of the best hob filters on the market. I had an FX5 (2 of them actually) and they were over-rated IMO. You can keep a male motoro in a 180. Females get much bigger. Diet is also going to play a huge role in your bio-load. If you are feeding a bunch of prawns and fish etc, then a sump filter might be a better option. If you feed strickly pellets less water changes are required. Whatever you decide I wish you luck.

FX5 trust me, eheims are nice but you get WAY more filtration with the FX5 trust me, i should have ran just FX5s

Nothing can be further from the truth. The only thing the fx5 does more of than an eheim is to make noise and circulate water, and that is a bad thing when it comes to good filtration. Biological filtratrion is the single most important device on an aquarium and the fx5 works only fairly well in terms of biologial filtration. Eheim is ranked as the best. Not to mention that the fx5 consumes more than twice the amount of power as the Eheim.