cardinals and what???

jnite

I have a 40 gallon tall that is planted, I am putting cardinals in it. Just wondering what else might go good with them looks and compatability. I was thinking maybe some rams of some sort? Any other suggestions? I am probably gonna put some panda cories for the bottom.

Sterbai cories seem to like warm temps. Hatchets would be a good choice as well. Any of the dwarf cichlids (Rams, apistos, etc); larger-bodied tetras (I love Bleeding Hearts).

Thanks everybody...I'll probably go with the sterbai's as suggested and some marble hatchets as they are smaller. And not sure yet I do like the bleeding heart suggestion as I do love them.....but I do like the ram/apisto idea as I have never kept them......hmmmm

What about a pleco?? Just stick with a brislenose?? What about a fancy south american pleco...I have a vampire and a mustard spot in my 77 gal, what about a gold nugget or panaque or will they decimate my plants?

Edited by jnite

Any of the small fancy plecos could work. Just make sure you have some driftwood and feed them well so the don't go after you plants.

Run at least 2x filtration on your tank (a HOB + Canister, each rated for a tank bigger than yours would be great), and you can put a school of 24 Cardinals, 8-12 Bleeding hearts, 6-8 Hatchets or Killis, a pair or trio of Dwarf cichlid, 6-10 Sterbai, and up to 4 plecos depending on spp.

If you're planning on planting the tank, I would plant a sword plant in each back corner, have a few inch row of fine-leaved stem plant across the back, some Crypt. in the mid-ground and a nice foreground plant (pygmy chain sword is really easy). Place some rock or pot caves throughout for your cichlids to make home, and you should have a great happy home.

Have fish, have fun! :thumbs:

I have Pristella Tetras, Odessa Barbs, some smaller rasboras and 4 Kribs in with my cardinals. Heavily planted 65. All the colours of the fish really keep the tank looking interesting, and the activity level of all the fish also adds to the enjoyment factor. I keep the plants all trimmed to a max of 12" tall, so the fish can swim openly in the top half, or play in the plants in the bottom half.

The Pristellas and Odessas are both a little off the beaten path for the 'standard' barbs and tetras, so I suggest them.