Lowering PH

Fishnut

I'm struggling to lower the PH in my 90 Gallon. I'm at 7.8 right now which is high because I have discuss in this tank. They seem to be doing well but I know it's better to be lower than this. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) the Neutral PH powder. I'm wondering about peat--where to get it etc. or any other advise from others who do the same thing. I'm on well water and want to do this slowly. Hope someone has some advise!

Are you lowering the pH to try to breed the discus? If not they are fine with the pH you have. If you're still of the inclination to lower the pH, I have tried all the different methods, sometimes with disatrous results, and have found low dosing with a product called Acid Buffer by Seachem to achieve the best results. Low dose in your 90 would be something like 1/2 teaspoon/day until the desired pH is attained.

I too have used Seachem's Acid Buffer with good results. I know several people in Edmonton who are mixing 25-50% RO water with treated tap water with good results, too.

Again, the change in chemistry is mainly for breeding purposes. Like Syno321 says, discus do fine in higher pH and hardness if breeding isn't intended.

I'm not lowering with the intention of breeding. I am just concerned with proper water conditions. All other aspects of the water quality are good. I've just been concerned with the ph level. I think I will let this be as the fish are doing well. Thanks for your advice.

If your intention is to breed discus, you should also look at lowering the TDS as well.

I don't know the water hardness in your area. In Edmonton, I mix 20% tap with 80% RO to bring the TDS to 90-100ppm.

Ph is around 7.5 immediate after mixing. I use PH down powder from Canadian Tire. Add a little each time and measure the PH value. PH will bounce back after a little while. Keep on adding until it reaches the desire level but stop bouncing. After you've done a few times, you'll have a good idea of the amount you need to reduce the PH to the level you desire and not bouncing back.

Good luck with your discus breeding.....