Keeping fish in a Rubbermaid tub

Ruadh

I looked at my 175 this morning only to discover a one per second drip.

Looks like the tank needs re-sealing........oh sigh!

Is there a maximum length of time that fish will survive in rubbermaid tubs as long as there's filter, heater and air?

I'm going to have to set up three, two for the fish and one for the plants, for as much as two weeks.

What say you?

• 1 month later...

Ya..........not so good

I lost about half my fish through my own stupidity. I put too many in the one bin and I think they used up all the oxygen.

Also, after re-sealing that stupid tank three times, it still leaks when it's full of water..

Six inches is all I can put in before the hydraulic pressure gets too great.

There are absolutely no cracks so I must not be taking enough care, even though I cleaned the seams scrupulously.

Next week I'll give it one more go.Stupid fish.......it's all their fault.

Sorry to hear about your fish loss! Because you have a filter and air pump going there probably was enough oxygen as it was constantly being replenished. Could it have been ammonia?

Are you stripping the old seal off the entire tank?

I would, but not the inbetween seal.

Are you using a brand new hardback blade and then using a solution to strip all the film off?

Are you using clear silicone or black?

I only use black anymore and any new tank I buy is always black silicone as it is about 40 times stronger than clear.

Are you running just one bead of silicone then tooling it and leaving it to dry?

While you are at it seal in the entire inside of the top plastic trim if it isn't done aready.

Sorry to hear about your fish loss! Because you have a filter and air pump going there probably was enough oxygen as it was constantly being replenished. Could it have been ammonia?

>>No, I checked, they had only been in there about 6 hrs and the water was from the tank.

Are you stripping the old seal off the entire tank?

I would, but not the inbetween seal.

>>Yes,I put a bead about 1/2 inch wide on and smoothed it out right away.

Are you using a brand new hardback blade and then using a solution to strip all the film off?

>>Yes, I used 8 or 10 blades, then used turpintine first and then rubbing alcohol. Thought I was doing a good job.

There was one area along the backwhere the edges were not sealed, but I thought I'd got that, guess not.

Are you using clear silicone or black?

I only use black anymore and any new tank I buy is always black silicone as it is about 40 times stronger than clear.

>>I'm using black. Can't remember the brand, I'm at work so I can't look at the tube. It's a well known brand at $7 a tube from Gregg's, not some cheap crap so it should be good.

Are you running just one bead of silicone then tooling it and leaving it to dry?

>>One bead and letting it sit for two days after I'm done.

I let it sit for 3 days full of water with no fish too, and then three days after I put the fish back in it started leaking worse than before I "fixed" it.

While you are at it seal in the entire inside of the top plastic trim if it isn't done aready.

Thankx for trying to help.

I think this next time, I should just do one seam at a time and let it sit for a day before I do the next one.

What do you think?

Edited by Ruadh

I use GE 1200 construction series.

My concern is all this work being done on it weakens it even more. Consider slowly running a fine bead first (the thickness of a pen tip) into the entire length of the joint. Apply good pressure to attempt to pack the inside of the joint, then take a dry tool or finger and run the bead tightly to pack it even more. Do not damp tool this bead as you do not want the water in there when running the next bead. Then right after this switch to the bigger cone tip and run your regular half inch bead over the existing wet bead and then damp tool it to get a clean bead. Use the pen tip size cone or smaller to pack the outside joint and damp tool it. I would let the seal sit for 5-7 days before adding water as it takes several days for black to dry on the inside.

Well thank you, I was wondering about using two passes.

Admittedly, I was going to go heavier on the first pass but what you say makes more sense.

Have you ever used the silicone remover that DAP has out?

Your welcome. I've used dap silicone and I think i used the remover years ago, but today I just use full concentration vinegar. After I've done the final cleaning with the vinegar I shop vac the seals then let it dry for 24 hours, because I don't want any vinegar left in the joint.

Use a new hardback with the vinegar and just scrap in a forward direction. Don't scrape back and forth, it cause the silicone film to roll and scraches the glass.

Edited by Evolution