UV sterilizer or diatom filter

timbruun

Just wondering if anyone has one that I could borrow/rent for a short period of time to get rid of my green algae in the water.

That or if anyone has one they want to sell or can recommend a good one for a decent price from somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by timbruun

No such thing as a descent price on those things.

I've got a diatom filter you can borrow.

It'll just cost you what's left over from the pound your going to have to buy.

How's that?

Edited by Ruadh

The diatom filter uses diartomatious earth to filter the water. So the pound that is refered to in the other comment is diatomaious earth (fine white powder) that blankets a micron filter cartridge inside the filter canister. It filters out fine particles such as algae blooms, bacteria blooms and even ich. You have to run the filter on a bucket or other water holding container and add D earth to the bucket until the appropriate amout of earth has covered the micron cartridge, then switch the filter over to the tank and filter it. Depending on the make and mondel size, it will clairify the water in a few short hours, to over night.

The diatom filter uses diartomatious earth to filter the water. So the pound that is refered to in the other comment is diatomaious earth (fine white powder) that blankets a micron filter cartridge inside the filter canister. It filters out fine particles such as algae blooms, bacteria blooms and even ich. You have to run the filter on a bucket or other water holding container and add D earth to the bucket until the appropriate amout of earth has covered the micron cartridge, then switch the filter over to the tank and filter it. Depending on the make and mondel size, it will clairify the water in a few short hours, to over night.

That's correct, except for the pre-charge thing. I can't remember the brand name, I'm at work, but it has a jar that the powder is put in and a filter element that the powder charges, Easy peasy, just put 3 TBS in the jar, screw it on, hang the unit on the aquarium and turn it on

Will the uv clean up the green also or is diatom best.

The diatom will clean up the green water for now but it will come back. The UV will clear it and will keep it away, assuming you leave it on 24/7 and don't remove it. Eventually, you will be able to remove the UV. Like Jvision said in your other thread, you need to take care of the water parameters and stop the nitrate/phosphate spike. These are just temporary solutions. But if you run the UV sterilizer constantly, then it won't come back. You can pick a 9watt one up for $60 now a days.

Edited by Kronosdelsol

I've been trying to get the parameters in shape. It's tough to fix the problem when it's there and easier to maintain a healthy tank when you start healthy. It's just the one tank that is causing me issues while my other tanks are incredibly clear. I was trying to make the one tank somewhat planted but the silvers dollars and plecos just destroy the plants I've been putting in there.

I'm thinking I might purchase a UV sterilizer just to have on hand anyways. Like you said, I'll use it to clear up problems when they arise but otherwise keep the tank in check with proper maintenance.

Just curious which diatom filter Ruadh has. most of the ones I've found are pretty expensive other than the HOT Magnum used as diatom which I might look into getting to have on hand.

I've actually read that daphnia will clear up green water fairly quickly as long as you can keep them seperate from the fish and then just let the fish eat them when the water is clear.

Edited by timbruun

HA! If you can keep your GW going in your tank, then you can grow a Daphnia culture in a 5gal pail - just do a WC from your green tank! The Daphnia are loved by pretty much all fish.

That's correct, except for the pre-charge thing. I can't remember the brand name, I'm at work, but it has a jar that the powder is put in and a filter element that the powder charges, Easy peasy, just put 3 TBS in the jar, screw it on, hang the unit on the aquarium and turn it on

I found a pic of mine. It's a "System I Diatom Pressure Filter"

Works very well, sometimes the drive belt gets a little noisy, but it doesn't bother me and it's only for a couple of hours.post-2805-128139998084_thumb.jpg

Just let me know if you want to borrow it, Tim. You can get a 10oz. can of powder from Big Als.

Edited by Ruadh