Nooooo WHYYYY?!?!

Today I finally managed to get a high range pH test... and now I wish I had never gotten it. Turns out the pH in my Cherry, Crystal Red + Snowball shrimp tank is at around 8.2-8.3 and my Tiger + Yellow shrimp is at 8.0. And one of my CRS female has finally gotten pregnant again after 2 month, last time she kept on losing her eggs until there was only 2 left and I blame it on the pH. My Tigers too, I'm always having at least 1 pregnant 24/7 for 5 month now and not even one juvenile baby. Seriously if I can't get my pH lowered soon and my CRS loses her eggs again I'm gonna go blowup.gif and then cry1.gif.

I know the only reliable way to lower pH is RO water; but the initial cost is a bit too high and I can't drive so I can't buy RO water (maybe I should try some hydrochloric acid? I heard they have worked for shrimp keepers). But if it's absolutely the last possible way to lower it then I guess I have no choice but dragging five gallons of water from bus to train. Any suggestions or any fish shop sell RO water??

But on the upside maybe I should get my hands on some Sulawesi shrimp 04.gif?

Edited by AvianAquatics

My tank always used to be 7.4-7.6, but once I heavily planted it (there is no 2" space of open sand) and added co2, my ph has dropped to 6.3 over a 6 month span. I've noticed that driftwood and peat can soften the water, slightly over time. I use pond peat in my canister, it is coming out though as my ph is getting too low for my liking despite regular water changes.

Seachem products are great, IME. I never had a problem with a pH bounce when I was using Acid Buffer. One thing you could try in your shrimp tanks is Hornwort. It's a fine-leaved plant that pulls carbonate from the water, making it softer... which often will lower the pH.

I have peat so I think I will try it.

Crystal - How much CO2 do you use? I added CO2 to my planted tanks about maybe 1.5 month ago so maybe they will drop soon :)

Jvision - I never knew Hornwort can lower pH but I'll definitely keep that in mind. The only thing is all my tanks are planted so adding Hornwort will probably overtake my tanks in a matter of weeks, but we'll see.

Also I was at Ronas the other day and noticed they have something called Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil which was supposed to keep pH at 7.0 and is said to be safe for all fish (so should be shrimp safe too right?). Have anyone tried something like this before and did it work?

I know lots of people who use Shultz Aquatic Soil with great success. Some use it under a layer of sand or gravel, and I know a few people who use it as their only substrate. I've never used it, myself - maybe just try it on your Cherry Shrimp tank first to make sure it's shrimp-safe.

My Cherry Population has been slowly decreasing over time and I don't want to stress them out more than I have to. I'm probably just going to ask people at ShrimpNow and see their opinions on it.

One thing you could try in your shrimp tanks is Hornwort. It's a fine-leaved plant that pulls carbonate from the water, making it softer... which often will lower the pH.

Other way around:

In the absence of CO2 addition, hornwort (also Elodea, Najas, Egeria, Vallisneria, etc.) can take in bicarbonate ions (HCO3-), keep the CO2, and leave behind OH-. In strong light, this process can create enough alkalinity at the leaf surface to precipitate calcium carbonate (CaCO3)which raises the pH. Biogenic Decalcification

Plants like these can potentially raise the pH in a well-lit tank to dangerous levels. If you're seeing a sandy or dusty looking coating on the leaves, you'll probably want to check your pH.

Shultz Aquatic Soil can be found in Ronas at the Garden Center... here in Calgary anyways.

Werner - That explains it somewhat! I have Najas in my Cherry 10Gal and the GH in that tank is 70PPM while my two others is at 80 (due to driftwood) and 100PPM! But my light is relatively moderate.. around 2.6wpg. So if I have like over 4wpg, which is true in my other 2 tanks, then I shouldn't add any Hornworts or it'd just raise the pH.