Small peaceful Africans

Bluecan

Hey guys, I dont really know anything about africans , I am setting up a bedroom 40 Gallon with my female SB tex , my first plan was to get a few small schooling fish mix to help give her confidence to leave her cave and let her live out her life, but If i can make it happen I would rather go with a or a couple small brightly colored africans, they have to be able to take care of themselves but not be aggressive either, she is pretty easy going if it isnt her own kind and shes only a couple inches long, the brighter the better, small,.......suggestions? I dont know anything about rams but I was thinking about maybe a ram or two? any input welcome

thanks

if your looking for small and peacful i would try out kribs... sorry dont know the scientific name but they are a nice yellow with a pink belly and stay fairly small... electric yellows can get up around 4-5inch mark so they might outgrow your little girl fairly fast and mine definatly fight for territory.... as for the peacocks only the males get colorful and they tend to be aggressive at least in my tanks.... but i guess if you get a couple small ones you can grow them out and when they get big just sell them and get new ones.... happy hunting :)

Aren't those texas cichlids super agressive?

Rams would be a bad choice as they are dwarfs and community tank type fish.

Honestly, you could go with a million different types. Maybe you could take a look at the ones you like and ask if they work......

Anyone else have ideas?

Kribs aka Pelvicachromis pulcher

I dont' have any experience with Texas cichlids but I dont' think i'd add africans with them, especially in a 40g. Even "peaceful" africans are still quite aggressive and territorial.

Kribs might work better as the can be more peaceful yet still able to hold their own.

Edited by Vallisneria

Kribs aka Pelvicachromis pulcher

I dont' have any experience with Texas cichlids but I dont' think i'd add africans with them, especially in a 40g. Even "peaceful" africans are still quite aggressive and territorial.

Kribs might work better as the can be more peaceful yet still able to hold their own.

to add to what vall said, not only would africans not be suited, but they also aren't made to communicate with one another. They won't understand the signals one another is sending and you could be in for catastrophic consequences. Instead, why not look at medium sized south american cichlid. Like a blue acara maybe?

You could throw in a pair of larger shell dwellers. Like maybe meeli, or hecqui. They would leave her alone, especially if she lived in a cave alot. You could even get away with smaller adult shellies as long as they r too big for her mouth. Added bonus is that the shellies would convert nls to fry for your sb lady to munch on.