what the h am i doing wrong?

vince0

Hey folks,

I've been trying to get fry from my sterbai cories for months now, they lay eggs every two weeks, and every two weeks i pull the eggs and try to hatch them. Problem is, I still don't have a single hatch yet! At first i was putting them in a breeder net, and hoping they'd hatch (it works for killies, so i figured i was golden.) When that didn't work,I moved my filter output to face the net to add flow. When that didn't work, i moved the net to the other side of the tank and put a higher flow power head in the tank aimed at the net. Still nothing.

Now ive purchased a 2.5g hatchery tank, methyl. blue. and pulled the eggs out and put them in a breeder net in the 2.5g. Added methyl blue, an air line into the net so that the water movement would happen closer. And after 5 days.... you guessed it. Nothing. Now the eggs kinda look white, or blue? And im wondering what to do next. If all my attempts reward me with nothing, is it just time to call it a day? Should i get rid of my stock and try again with a different group?

Any help will be muchly appreciated.

How many cories do you have? and how many eggs do you normally find?

May sound stupid but is it possible that all of yours are females?

I have 11, and i usually collect about 20 eggs every 2 weeks. Theres probably a lot more, but I usually don't pick more just in case they do hatch. I'd have way too many fish on my hands!. I've considered that, and I'm not so good at sexing them. I've also read that large groups of female to too few males will also cause the males to get distracted, leaving most of the eggs unfertilized.

I may have to get some experts over here to help sex them, and maybe try to breed them in a small breeder with controlled groups.... but that sounds like a lot of work

Adult Corys are easy to tell apart - females are quite a bit bigger. However, if your fish are young it's a bit harder. You'll have to look at them from above - females will be rounder. If you have another tank, I'd put a group of 4-6 males with 2-4 females - that should give you fertilized eggs.

Females tend to be plumper when viewed from the side or the top. Males are more slender. Thou with 11 you should have some males. When you collect the eggs, do they just not hatch-- eggs that don't change color or are white (thou for sterbai I am not sure of the egg color when laid, I know bronze have white eggs that slowly change color to brown) or do they grow fungus? If they don't hatch then you have infertile eggs. Which means that you have a problem. Could be a male problem, or a female problem as in they are producing eggs but not viable eggs. Maybe add some live or frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp or micro-worms. Good luck. :thumbs:

Females tend to be plumper when viewed from the side or the top. Males are more slender. Thou with 11 you should have some males. When you collect the eggs, do they just not hatch-- eggs that don't change color or are white (thou for sterbai I am not sure of the egg color when laid, I know bronze have white eggs that slowly change color to brown) or do they grow fungus? If they don't hatch then you have infertile eggs. Which means that you have a problem. Could be a male problem, or a female problem as in they are producing eggs but not viable eggs. Maybe add some live or frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp or micro-worms. Good luck. :thumbs:

yeah, they would have gotten fungus again had it not been for methyl. blue. They did turn white once again.

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking at a cory breeding book tonight(thanks Werner!!) and they said to use 2/3 the amount of anitfungal that you would usually use. Just a thought!!

Was looking at a cory breeding book tonight(thanks Werner!!) and they said to use 2/3 the amount of anitfungal that you would usually use. Just a thought!!

hmm good to know, they haven't spawned for me recently, and i've given up on them currently... they will be moved to a 20 long in the near future so that I can concentrate on them more.