Florida Gars...FOUND SOME!

knifefishfan

Just the two lil retic pups and the gar. He is much more comfy in his tank now thats for sure. He watches the rays eat the worms, he even approaches the worms on the bottom but wont eat them. Maybe i need to buy another one to make mine more comfy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my gar had eaten all the rosy reds by morning. So I threw in 5 1.25 inch back scraper fry this morning before i went to work, cause I thought he still looked a lil thin. Got home from work and he had eaten all 5 of those. He was looking very thick. I threw in 3 of the largest fry I could find. A meaty 1.75 inchers at least.Then I sat back and watched him hunt and eat all 3 of them in 10 mins. Hes a very good hunter hahah evolution has served this fish well! No wonder they have barely changed in 1000s of years! I have yet to see him miss a strike or let a fish out of his grasp when he is flipping them around. Maybe ill buy 100 rosies and sequester them in a tank for a few weeks. He seems bigger already. ANd a obv fish lover

nice...that link you posted did mention you put him in a tank by himself and put feeders in with him. ive read gars are pretty resistant with ich and parasites. i have 20 rosey res minnows waiting for mine and my bichirs for this weekend. hehe

The fish seemed to wake up his hunger! I woke up for work this morn. All fry were eaten. So when I fed the rays there usual 6 segments of worm, he grabbed the first worm that hit the water. He shook it around a lil but let it go. It was too big. Yeah I love my gar. My gf has even came around and admits he's pretty slick!

Haha hustler you wanna buy one and grow one in my tank for a month?I am gonna check this weekend if they r still there ill grab one. And you can buy him at cost off me when he reaches the desired size, if you want.

I must confess my gar has eaten over 40 rosy reds in the last week and has taken the shape of a large cigar! I have about 50 more rosies that are in observation untill i deem they are ready. Any mis shapen bellies and its a water cyclone ride to the sewer. I find myself culling about 20 per cent of the guys though before they are allowed to be eaten. The gar has spurted in growth, in both length and girth. Fastest growing fish I have ever seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Well you two...... Thanks for the heads up :)

12" and already eating prawns...... Aro's took notice of him for a second then took him into the school so I think im good for beatings :)

You guys should post pics of the progress....... Im interested to see how they come along...... And if you want to sell...... you got my pm

my 300 needs a trio and I have a friend looking for a trio as well....... so Ill be on the lookout till the WC's come back on the list in the spring

unfortunately, im sad to say i only have the 2 small gars left. the bigger gar went belly up a few weeks ago. my fave fish too! it had a massive bump on its side that seemed to grow slowly. i ended up disecting it, and saw a hard yellow something where the bump was. the rest of the fish in the tank all are fine and eating. but just like jlake ill take a pic of the 2 smaller gars. i think from now on though, i prefer buying my fish as babies and grow them out. atleast i know what they have been through and dont go through that again.

btw the 2 small gars are about 6-7 inches and eats 1-2 large silversides a day. they are pigs.

poop sorry about your loss. I'm having a hard time getting my gar to take anything but blood worms and prawns. He is stubborn and really only likes the blood worms. Which pisses me off bc nutrional value of blood worms is extra low. Still won't swallow a earth worm just grabs em and shreds em a lil. I'd say mine Is close to 6 to 7 inches but prolly more like 5 to 6. I will measure when I get home. But I really enjoy this fish. He Is not spooky or jumpy at all. Bc that the worst when they fast start into the wall of a aquarium. I am leary of putting him in my 180 for that reason alone. Leading cause of gar death and disfigurement. (So I have read)