Florida Gars...FOUND SOME!

knifefishfan

not sure who else was looking for it other than Hustler but i found some gars.

They were labeled as Short Nose Gar but I think they are Florida Gars.

Bought 2 myself and 3 left. They are 4-5 inches long.

They are at AquaGiant on the Southside of Edmonton.

ENJOY!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what took you so long?...been waiting for you to say something about these gars.

i stopped by aquagiant on 50th to browse their new fishes. i casually ask about gars and they said they had 5 gars on the southside. i was on the south side within the hour buying 2 hehe.

i dont think they are all florida. i think i got 1 florida and 1 shortnose.

enjoy hustler and hope there are some left hehe.

only 2 left now! I was there earlier today and seen the trio. Kinda wussed out and went home without buying any. A few hours later i decided to go back and get one. How can you tell the difference between a florida and a shortnose? I read it has something to do with upper back teeth or something? What are you feeding yours and how often knifefish?

i put them in my 50 with my 3 xl angelfish and 9" bgk and 2 bichir thats also growing out til it can go in the big tank.

i feed them bloodworms. i feed the other fish first so they all full (bichirs are eating machines). then i put some bloodworms into the tank where the gars are and turn off the lights. gars like to hunt during dawn/dusk (low light).

i didnt feed the first day i got...just drip acclimatized and turned the lights off most of the day to get them used to the tank. the 2nd day i noticed after i turned the light off, they ate bloodworms. this is the 3rd day of having them and noticed they have their spots where they stay and feed, so i drop the worms there. i know i shouldnt leave some bloodworms on the bottom but they feed on them throughout the day i noticed. i drop a cube of bloodworms for the bichirs angels and gars twice a day and any leftovers the bichirs get hehe

this is how i "try" to ID the gars.

http://aquaticpredat...nileyoy-gar-id/

hope this helps.

hustler has kept them for longer maybe he can add to this.

Edited by knifefishfan