Lighting recommendations

thelegend0210

If you don't plan on having plants with high light requirements I suggest you go to Home Depot and pick up a shop light fixture.

Home Depot Link

It is 48" and takes 2 bulbs. They have full spectrum T8 bulbs there also. $10 for a 2-pack.

If you plan on having more growth/plants (or plants with high light requirements) you need more wattage. I suggest the Hagen Glo T5 HO system. The fixture itself is not too bad in terms of price, but the bulbs are expenseive, especially compared to the shop light package at Home Depot.

I've heard the Coralife fixtures don't last too long because the compact ballasts are not very durable.

Unfortunately, if you want good plant growth you need to spend the money on the lights.

Edited by Marty

I agree with Marty - can't beet the price on a good ol' shop light. If you're at all handy, you can make a nice canopy to hide it. Or check out the buy/sell forum, eBay or other fish forums for deals on some nicer looking fixtures.

Umm, you got me there, I'm at work and totally can't remember what they were called. I'll look it up when I get home. Not totally sure yet that I want to do a planted tank. So I'm mainly wanting a light system for brightness and color, $200 or less range.

Do not over light. If you do not go with planted tank and do not plan to install CO2 - do not put to much light. Otherwise you will get green algae.

"If you plan on having more growth/plants (or plants with high light requirements) you need more wattage. I suggest the Hagen Glo T5 HO system. The fixture itself is not too bad in terms of price, but the bulbs are expenseive, especially compared to the shop light package at Home Depot."

A friend of mine that works at a LFS told me that Hagen just anounced a 43% price reduction on their T5 H0 bulbs effective November 1, 2010. I don't think Home Depot or any other big box hardware store sells T5 HO bulbs for aquarium use....but I could be wrong.