why do we need to have sump?

johnyle

It does not matter if you have a sump or not, you can have canisters if you like. As long as you have addiquit filtration for how many gallons of water you have. Did someone tell you that you have to have a sump? Are you running a salt water tank maybe?

It really depends on what you're keeping. If you're keeping large messy fish, then you can pack WAY MORE biomedia in a sump than you can in any canister. Plus, a sump allows you to hide your heaters and other equipment.

A sumps square footage of bio area will always be superior to any canister or HOB filter......I have 4 AC500's running 2 180 gallons with backup fluval 404's and I would take a sump anyday...... 1 pump as apposed to 3 and you have 4-6 times the bio media not to mention how much more easy they are to clean......

My 2 bits anyways

From everything i have seen it's personal preference combined with cost, conveinence and some needs. If you have for instance a 190 gallon tank with 3 koi at a foot each and they will run past the gallon capacity mark for a carp aka 1 inch per 5 gallons then a sump is the best option. If for instance you want a show tank that is quiet and you are worried about humidity then the cannister is your best bet. Sumps are more work and money to set up but there are many benifits and things about them that make them very conveinent.

Hope this might help

L

No,i just have a small fresh water tank.Thinking to get abigger one 50/60g for main floor.

It does not matter if you have a sump or not, you can have canisters if you like. As long as you have addiquit filtration for how many gallons of water you have. Did someone tell you that you have to have a sump? Are you running a salt water tank maybe?