How many fish is too many?

johnyle

goldfish will eat anything they can fit into their mouth and like cold water they will not be able to go into the same tank as any of the other fish angel fish are ok to stick in though a good rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. except for goldfish you want 2 gallons of water per inch of fish

Goldfish get big and like cold water, so probably not good to mix with any of the others, and could only live in a 36g for a year or less. As for the other fish you mentioned, you could probably go with 3-6 of each. For filtration, you'll probably want to run a smallish canister with an HOB filter if you're going stock it heavily.

Good advice. I'd add a Plecco that will stay small to keep the glass clean. If you want a plecco I'd reccomend a Bristle Nose plecco of some kind as they are small and adaptable to planted tanks or whatever you want to put in there(within reason). Fairdeal usually has some and makes trips to edmonton on a semi regular basis. There is also the Canadian aquatics group order and i just checked their stock list and they have some beautiful angels and some bristle nose pleccos as well.

good luck

L

for that size tank i would stick with the smaller community fish, like tetras, barbs, guppies, swordtails, cories, etc. if you are not looking to breed any fish, i would stick with tetras or barbs since they are egg layers and likely to eat the eggs before they hatch. cories are also egg layers.

angels like a lot of room to swim and i personally wouldn't house them in anything smaller than a 55 gallon.

adding critters to keep algae at bay isn't the answer. the fishkeeper should be the one fixing problems with the tank and figuring out why those problems are happening (algae, etc).

for that size tank i would stick with the smaller community fish, like tetras, barbs, guppies, swordtails, cories, etc. if you are not looking to breed any fish, i would stick with tetras or barbs since they are egg layers and likely to eat the eggs before they hatch. cories are also egg layers.

angels like a lot of room to swim and i personally wouldn't house them in anything smaller than a 55 gallon.

adding critters to keep algae at bay isn't the answer. the fishkeeper should be the one fixing problems with the tank and figuring out why those problems are happening (algae, etc).

I agree with everything but the last for a beginner tank. I have 1 tank without a plecco and i really really need to get one in there because doseing ferts, co2 and all that other stuff not to mention all the testing is just too complicated and too much work and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for me anyway because when that much math an numbers are involved I'm bound to mess up. I agree if you want a planted tank with high light output and difficultish plants then you should spend the time and money figuring it out and fixing it but for a starter i think it's just waaayyyy too much work. Unless you can give me a 2 second fix to my cynobacteria carpet that green hair algae is takeing over now.

When it comes down to it the plecco will add to bioload quite a bit BUT the benifits of not needing to clean the tank repetedly of algae is really a 200lbs rock tipping the scales and a godsend when i first put one in my main tank.

A quick 2 second fix for your cynobactera? Ethromycin. Comes in packets for about 20$ :P. It killed my cyno in just a few days. I don't believe plecos will touch ethro will they? I thought they prefer algae. Anyways, I still say a snail. It adds relatively little to the bioload, is a great fit for a 30 gallon sized tank, and you can get em that are super small like the nerite snails. I do also agree with angels needing atleast a 55. They get rather large for a 36 gallon or whatever you have there, IMO. I think it'd be a much more beneficial to stick to smaller fish like tetras for a tank that size.