Breeding a Black (Full Moon)

Sierra

I am only recently going to try and breed some bettas as I found this gorgeous male who I just have to try.

He is black with gorgeous silver streaks and full moon (i think...picture soon)...I have never seen anything like him but wow there are some gorgeous fish on this site.

Wishing I bought his younger brother...actually going for my first visit to Nature's Corner tomorrow sounds like a good place to visit.

Anyway I have read that black females are infertile? Anyone able to give me all the information on blacks and infertility?? What is the best female to try and breed him with? I would like to buy a female not from a pet store.

Seems like a consensus on almond leaf plant and floating plants are good things to put in a breeding tank?

I have wanted to try for a long time and still really want to try breeding them even if my beauty of a male proves unreliable. Probably be looking for a good young pair(s) after I try for awhile.

Bread almost all the live bearers you find in pet stores but only recently have large tank(s) again. Not breeding for profit just want to make some good looking fish.

Either way I think it's going to be exciting and um a little bit addicting upon success as I have witnessed reading and reading waiting to get an "approved" account lol.

yes, you've got some good information and I recall this thread coming up in the International Betta Congress chat. General consensus was to use a steel blue female. Good luck with your breeding!!

Yes thank you everyone. I know they are more difficult but I'm up for it and I'm confident. I'll let you know how it goes.

Are there certain things to look for to compare the age of females besides size and smaller fins.. I guess?

When you breed bettas, you should match the size of your female to your male or else, there may be violence.(still might be!!). If you have a female that "bars"(stripes vertically) at the sight of a male, she's ready for lovin'.

Also make your your female isnt shaped like a vessel ,lol. If shes to fat ,the male wont be able to "lock" with her.

Ahh yeah I misjudged I got a female TOO small I think... but going to give her a try and there is still a bit of time before I give it a whirl. I will be busy with finals.

feed her nls grow (available at natures corner store) and she should be bigger faster. Also from what i understand the baby bettas only like live foods so look into growing your own and i think there are some members here on the site that can sell you a starter culture or two of what you might like. I could be wrong though but almost any fry will thrive on it regardless. I don't know what kind is best for betta babies.

Good luck.

L

feed her nls grow (available at natures corner store) and she should be bigger faster. Also from what i understand the baby bettas only like live foods so look into growing your own and i think there are some members here on the site that can sell you a starter culture or two of what you might like. I could be wrong though but almost any fry will thrive on it regardless. I don't know what kind is best for betta babies.

Good luck.

L

I just going to let her grow out patiently I think. rolleyes.gif Microworms, brine shrimp, vinegar eels they all work for betta babies just in case...you were wondering. Worms and eels apparently super easy to culture and keep. Brine shrimp bit more work but some argue it's worth it. We shall see ...lol eventually.

Dont use BBS(baby brine shrimp) They are hard to grow ,have to be washed off before being fed to your babies ,and baby bettas can get bloat and swim bladder disorder from eating to much BBS. Plus they only live for a few hours ,if that ,in fresh water.

I would go with microworms or bananaworms. Super easy to culture ,can live in water for up to 24 hours ,are small and slow(so easy for fry to catch) and take up way less space.

Dont use BBS(baby brine shrimp) They are hard to grow ,have to be washed off before being fed to your babies ,and baby bettas can get bloat and swim bladder disorder from eating to much BBS. Plus they only live for a few hours ,if that ,in fresh water.

I would go with microworms or bananaworms. Super easy to culture ,can live in water for up to 24 hours ,are small and slow(so easy for fry to catch) and take up way less space.

What do you use??

Just looked into them (never heard of really before now). They seem like more work than microworms but I just read a little bit quickly... I will probably go with whatever I can get my hands on between worms/eels. I bought some stuff recently from jvision and totally forgot while I was there to get some microworms (damnit damnit), but I will see might have to go visit him again he is fairly close to me.

How do you have your banana worm culture set up if you don't mind my asking?

I put in about 1 inch ,or a little bit lees ,of oatmeal ,mix in fishwaer untill a mushy consitancy is reaches ,then sprinkle some yeast on ,put a spoonful of old culture in ,and in 4 days I mix the culture ,add a bit more water ,and then in a few days it is ready to harvest .

That is how I do ,but I'm sure there are other ways aswell.

How my cultures look

P1010690.jpg

I keep them in a box in a shelf thing.

P1010691.jpg

Edited by polleni-puffer