COLOR ENHANCING FOODS FOR CICHLIDS

FISHLIPS

I BOUGHT A CONTAINER OF OMEGA ONE SUPER CICHLID PELLETS ,THE PELLETS ARE A RUSTY RED COLOR WHICH HAS DEVELOPED ON MY SEVERUMS FINS AND A FEW SPOTS ON HEAD/BODY.HE/SHE LOOKS EXTREMELY HEALTHY , VERY ACTIVE AND EXTREMELY WILLING TO EAT THESE.....ANYONE HAVE SAME RESULTS?

ALSO I'VE ALTERNATED BETWEEN BLOOD WORMS,SHRIMP FROZEN&DRY,DRY CRAWFISH,PEAS,NUTRAFIN CICHLID PELLETS ETC.

I haven't tried the food your using, but my cichlids coloured a lot when I started feeding them new life spectrum food. All of my fish have actually coloured up a significant amount from going on New life spectrum.

I haven't tried the food your using, but my cichlids coloured a lot when I started feeding them new life spectrum food. All of my fish have actually coloured up a significant amount from going on New life spectrum.

COOL......IS IT AVAILABLE IN MOST STORES?

YOU SHOULD TRY THIS STUFF IN COMBINATION WITH SPECTRUM ....MIGHT BE SURPRISING!!

Edited by FISHLIPS

yeah new life spectrum is available in most stores. Good stuff, I use their flake, algea wafer and growth formula as well as the cichlid sinking pellets.

HAVE TO TRY SOME!! I ALSO BOUGHT A CONTAINER OF WARDLEY CICHLID PELLETS ON SALE WHICH THEY ALL HATE

MY GEOPHAGUS TAPAJOS AND BLUE ACARA WON'T EAT FLAKES,THE ACARA ONLY LIKE BLOOD WORMS,SHRIMP AND COOKED PEAS AND THE GEOS LIKE THE OMEGA ONE,BLOOD WORMS,SHRIMP AND HATE PEAS.........................FUSSY FRIGGIN FISH ....LOL

All I feed is NLS. Its all your fish need, and I don't have to mess around with anything else. I have never had any digestion problems with fish that eat it.

I try not to vary their choices, this can lead to finicky eaters. Although once in a while I will give them bloodworms as a treat. Even my fry go from BBS to NLS wafers and then on to the NLS grow formula. Couldn't be happier.

And on another note, RD on this forum is the rep for NLS and is a wealth of information we can all utilize if needed. I try to support the local guy, not the big faceless guys.

All I feed is NLS. Its all your fish need, and I don't have to mess around with anything else. I have never had any digestion problems with fish that eat it.

I try not to vary their choices, this can lead to finicky eaters. Although once in a while I will give them bloodworms as a treat. Even my fry go from BBS to NLS wafers and then on to the NLS grow formula. Couldn't be happier.

And on another note, RD on this forum is the rep for NLS and is a wealth of information we can all utilize if needed. I try to support the local guy, not the big faceless guys.

you don't think a wide variety of foods are better?

in summer i feed them any bugs i can catch and they go nuts for them

what's NLS/BBS

Edited by FISHLIPS

When it comes to feeding your fish there are a multitude of foods to choose from - some good some bad. The best in my opinion are the ones that are made to benefit the fishes health and longevity, not the ones that are manufactured to make huge profits by adding more than ample fillers, etc. One good way to judge the foods is to eyeball the amount of waste the fish are excreting. Good quality foods will have little of this and poor foods will have plenty. I would recommend too that the color enhancers in any manufactured product be all natural additives not something verging on hormonal additions. Hormones affect your fishes health even though they may display great color their life spans are severely shortened.

If you really want to see your fish go crazy over food try homemade European shrimp mix. This is a great natural food and the fish literally push each other out of the way to grab it. It promotes color and adds weight to younger fish in a hurry. The basic formula is posted on cichlid-forum.com but over the years I have modified it to a carnivore and a omnivore formula. For the omnivores I add extra greens like spinach, broccoli, beans, etc and a small portion of smelts and for the carnivores the same but with a whole lot of extra smelts. This is a very high protein food and I only feed them with it once weekly. Definitely no more than once daily. WARNING: ONLY USE THE BLENDER FOR THIS CONCOCTION WHEN YOUR WIFE IS NOT HOME. Somehow the thought of shrimp and smelts being ground up in the same osterizer we use is not conducive to ever using it again - at least not in this lifetime.

I need to slightly overfeed to be sure that the slower and smaller fish have the chance to get some food not to mention the snails. If it wasn't for NLS i'd have had multiple deaths from the infamous malawi bloat. I have some Omeaga fish food left over from when i switched to NLS and i'm very very slowly getting rid of it. It can be found at Natures Corner Store for the best price in edmonton and elsewhere too. Colour is absolutely stunning as well when on NLS.

Go through what you have before switching or else you might have difficulty getting your fish to eat it after they have had NLS. Price wise I would say it's actually cheaper that other food since you need to use soo little in comparison. Don't let initial price deter you and definately cut down significantly the amount you feed your fish when feeding nls. (each fish should have one eyeball size of food and no more)

Good Luck

L

you don't think a wide variety of foods are better?

in summer i feed them any bugs i can catch and they go nuts for them

what's NLS/BBS

I try not to mix things up too much. My fish go nuts for the NLS so I don't really want to mess with that. I could be totally wrong by keeping to a simple menu. I have had dry pets (cats &dogs) get picky from switching up the food, so that mentality has carried over to the wet pets. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.