Re-doing tank - question

Goldy

I am re-doing my cichlid tank to a planted one soon & I want to clean up my filter tubes. Wondering if soaking in a water/bleach mix is a good way to go, if so what is the correct amount to mix, 20:1 water:bleach? Basically want to clean up some algae on them & give them a good scrubbing down as well.

Also what is the best way to clean off the hard calcium build up that forms on the glass tops, I have tried vinegar but has anybody ever tried CLR, just give it a really good cleaning/soaking afterwards?

Goldy

Be VERY careful using chemiclas like chlorine bleach and CLR to clean fish stuff. You can rinse the chlorine well with tap water and then kill any remaining chlorine with an ample dose of your regular dechlorinator... but the CLR contains other chemicals likely very harmful to fish. I would avoid it. Instead, use the flexible pipe cleaners ( I got mine at the dollar store) or the pot scrubbie on a string idea. Just make sure the string and the scrubbie dont seperate mid tube, otherwise your SCREWED!! haha. :D

Boom :boom:

Muriatic acid, otherwise known as hydrochloric acid. Commonly found in the marine section at Canadian Tire for cleaning boats. Just a little will break down the calcium deposits. I've run aquaclear impellers and motors through this before (a mild solution), and it works well for cleaning them up and restoring to original.

Neutralize with baking soda when finished.

I as well used clr but only as a last resort to remove haze from a used tank I purchased. Didnt work for me but nothing really did untill i used the turtle wax heavy duty rubbing compound. And even than this tank had been etched some how and it only improved it a little. Last resort, obv using manual labour and less harsh substances is the way to go. If it works.

I have been known to use old toothbrushes to clean out filter tubes. They're good at removing the algae and other gunk but not so good at the calcium deposits. However, the price is right!!

Me I only use vinegar for my glass or a razor blade and so far it's worked well every time. CLR will work but with plastic you have to worry about it contaminating the plastic itself and leaching into the water over time. Bleach is a very simple chemical(in comparison to clr) and we all know how to nutrilize it and hace what we need to do so. Vinegar is edible and will evaporate and when rinsed well is very safe.

Good luck

L