Building A Tank Into A Wall

FISHLIPS

so i'm finishing my basement and need some ideas/pics for this project.Right now i have a spot that will fit a 100" long tank with about 5' of room behind wall for equipment.Am i going to run into moisture problems in this space and if so how can i build it so everything isn't going to rot?I want to have a hidden access through a storage room which will be next to it.I'm also thinking of running 2 large cannister filers fx5 or eheim pro III.Also who in the Edmonton area is the cheapest/best to build this tank?I am a welder so a steel stand will be used.

Edited by FISHLIPS

Moisture will not be an issue as long as you have glass covers on the tank. Plus that will dramatically reduce evaporation, hence reduced moisture in your house. As a side note , our real Christmas tree is sucking up over 2 litres per day and therefore there is moisture on our windows so I had to reduce the flow on the humidifier.

And, if you are worried about moisture, you could always run a dehumidifier - you can get small ones for around $50.

Just to add a little real world into this one. I have a 125 built into the wall in my basement. I also have 2 50 gallon tanks, 1 45 gallon Another 2 20's and on top of it all a 240 10 feet away from the built in tank. There are no moisture issues at all in the house but i have fairly tight fitting glass tops on all tanks. Even directly above the 125 built-in there is no moisture at all.

Just to add a little real world into this one. I have a 125 built into the wall in my basement. I also have 2 50 gallon tanks, 1 45 gallon Another 2 20's and on top of it all a 240 10 feet away from the built in tank. There are no moisture issues at all in the house but i have fairly tight fitting glass tops on all tanks. Even directly above the 125 built-in there is no moisture at all.

any suggestions on design or pics?

Edited by dunl

Big tanks like that are always fun :) If you get a sump system make sure you have a lid for that aswell. You may get a bit more moisture but a great filter for such a tank. Also you can run a bathroom fan on a timer or sensor in the small space (cheap and effective)

Also did you want the front glass flush? I have seen a few tank designs now that have a 4 inch lip in the front so you can fit the stand behind and Ontop of the studs and headder and have the glass flush with the drywall, Then its just a frame around the tank on the drywall side and its done on that side :)

Big tanks like that are always fun :) If you get a sump system make sure you have a lid for that aswell. You may get a bit more moisture but a great filter for such a tank. Also you can run a bathroom fan on a timer or sensor in the small space (cheap and effective)

Also did you want the front glass flush? I have seen a few tank designs now that have a 4 inch lip in the front so you can fit the stand behind and Ontop of the studs and headder and have the glass flush with the drywall, Then its just a frame around the tank on the drywall side and its done on that side :)

yes i'm going to have the tank flush to wall will a steel stand and adjustable legs to keep everything level

Sounds good , I would love to have one built in to a wall but then something would have to go.....and I don't mean the wife.....I mean something else ...like my theatre......Being a welder I am sure you can build a super stand that will be both strong and functional. I have a couple welder firnds on retainer.....nice benefit. Post pictures when you are done......

are there alot of welders on this site? lol

I was gonna offer services but....Gotta love Oil Country

Sounds good , I would love to have one built in to a wall but then something would have to go.....and I don't mean the wife.....I mean something else ...like my theatre......Being a welder I am sure you can build a super stand that will be both strong and functional. I have a couple welder firnds on retainer.....nice benefit. Post pictures when you are done......

are there alot of welders on this site? lol

I was gonna offer services but....Gotta love Oil Country

Too bad you are not in Vancouver to help me with my set up. I am installing a Marineland 300 gallon (6 X 3 X 2.5) in my laundry room against a wall; then I am cutting out a hole in the wall to provide a large picture window on the other side. Project is underway.