Co2 System Setup

Goldy

I am looking at setting up a CO2 system for a 90 gal planted & have a bunch of questions. Where do you purchase the materials (tank, etc)? What size of tank would be recommended & how often do you have to fill it up? What would be the cost roughly to get it set up? Any other info any one could supply on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

I bought my stuff @ J&L aquatics in vancouver and i'm sure they will ship to you as well, not sure local. You just need any type of 10lb or 20lb tank (heavier the tank the more it holds and the longer you can go without refill). 10lb is pretty standard size tank.

You can get the tank filled at the recharge centre down by chinook mall, i think it cost me 30$ to fill up and lasts 6 months or so.

http://www.rechargecentre.com/

You will need a needle valve, regulator, and guages. This stuff comes in a setup when you buy it from JL. About 300$ for the supplies, another 30-50 for the co2 itself.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cr-pz10rvs/10-Pound+Cylinder%2C+CO2+Regulator%2C+Needle+Valve+%26+Solenoid+Package.html

Then you will need some way to diffus the co2 into your tank, a ceramic co2 diffuser should do the job. You can find them on ebay for 10$

http://www.aquariumslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/co2diffuser3.jpg

You need a way to monitor how much co2 you have in your tank and a co2 drop checker does the job well. The solution turns green when you hit 30ppm which is ideal in a planted tank. Again 10$

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CO2-Drop-Checker-PH-solution-/260703369230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb321b80e

Edited by Nicklfire

Hi Goldy. I bought my stuff from Green Leaf Aquariums. If you can, go with the J&L Aquatics like nicklfire recommends since you won't have to spend money on brokerage fees. I think the cost is roughly 300-500 dollars in total depending on what you want. Personally I would stay away from the Milwaukee MA-957 regulator. I bought this one and it doesn't hold a steady output unless you set it to 20psi which will break your solenoid (like it did mine). I recommend spending the money to get a good quality all in one regulator with a solenoid and bubble counter attached as it would be pretty confusing for a first timer otherwise.

Nicklfire also has the good advice of purchasing your diffuser off ebay instead of a fancy expensive name brand one of the exact same quality(mistake I also made). However I am glad with dishing out the extra $$ to get a good double drop checker which holds a reference solution and an indicator solution instead of the normal ones which only holds and indicator solution. A double drop checker will help you get the most accurate reading. The color shift can be ever so minor and not noticeable otherwise.

My thought is that you purchase everything separate. You will get a better quality system and you may just save some money if you shop around..

Take your time researching regulators, solenoids, etc..I think with c02 you are after precision and the ease of adjustment .Im not saying the co2 packages

are not good but I think there is better equipment out there with that in mind.

I'm pretty sure that many of the Aquarium places buy their supplies from welding supply shops. Like ubr0ke said, if you buy separately, you can save yourself some money. You should be able to buy a tank, reg and such for $250 or less.

You will want a 10lb tank (will last 12-15mths on a 90)

A 2-stage regulator

A Bubble-counter with needle valve

If you can find an All-in-One with all of the above, it's a lot easier. You may be able to get the guy at the welding shop (where you're going to find better prices, IME) to put it all together for you.

http://tinyurl.com/27ue7gf

It is the third one down - Regulator/Flowmeter, Carbon Dioxide, Model HRF1480-320

You will also need a male barbed output fitting , , , tubing, , , and yah , ,thats about it.

Strangely enough it is cheaper to fill a larger cylinder than an odd small one. Do not fall in the 5Lb trap.

Kinda hard to read,

thats 41.00 + + + = $50.00 and thats a 5 Lb.

Century Vallen will fill them. But they want to "pressure test" a customer owned bottle.

So first time I went it was 35 then the second time out comes "the tester" himself, says it has to be done and its twenty five more bucks.

I go home

Still scratching head

Edited by jewels

OxyPro in Edmonton give them a call if you'd like lol. How much does it cost you in Medicine Hat?

I guess it varys everywhere you go. I have read all different prices of peoples refills on APC.

I get my 10lb filled at oxypro and its now 27$!!! It used to be closer to 21$ but this last time the price went up!