Undergravel Filters

tigerbarb

Using a hob in conjunction with another filter is always good.. But it won't prevent the undergravel from eventually needing to be cleaned.

Does anyone have happy stories about long term use of an undergravel?

From my experience, they are good for a max of two years, even with an additional HOB, powerhead, good weekly vacuumings and minimal fish, but will eventually need a thorough - 'remove all gravel' - cleaning.

I did this just'one time'.. the gravel went back in, the filter did not.

I have very good luck with my UGF. I have goldfish in a 72G tank with UGF driven by two 201. I used 5mm+ gravel and the larger gravel size don't seem to have the plug up problem that other people reported. I have it for 15+ years without complete overhaul. It is very low maintenance. YMMV

I added an UGF to my daughter-in-law's 10 gallon goldfish tank (2 larger goldfish and a fairly large pleco) and put a filter sponge over the intake on the HOB so the impeller etc doesn't clog up. It keeps the tank much clearer now and I will be adding some Malayasian trumpet snails when we switch her to a 25 gallon tank with a bigger HOB and a larger UGF. As well she has agreed that the Pleco has to go so that will cut down the bio load significantly. I also provisioned some Java fern and Java moss which the Goldfish didn't touch although they cleaned house on the crystalwort and duckweed. The plants seem to be keeping the tank walls from getting too green.

on our 60 gallon we have a ugf ac 200 and fluval 203, I also used a UGF and ac200 on my ten gallon for a while. I would highly recomend that you don't add a ugf if you already have a hob your just makeing more work for yourdself and an inevitably dirtier tank, for the same reasons that they always suck. The tank looks clean but the gravel is disgusting, and don't even look under the plate, also most people don't relize this but UGFs need more maintenance then any other filter do this by gravel vacing. I see no reason to use the ugf with the hob, I tto the hob out of the 10 gallon tank, and now that it is on the 60gallon with ugf, all the air tubes have come off the filter plates except one (of four) and i have not been replaceing them,

Edited by vantgE

• 4 years later...