Cherry Shrimp

Hippoherder

I've got a 30 gallon with a bunch of snails, guppies, 1 yoyo loach, and about 10 cherry shrimp (maybe more that I cant see). Out of all the shrimp there are only 3 that look red. Most are completely see through. Half of them have been in the tank for a couple months so it isn't stress related to a new habitat. Is it just odd genetics, environmental conditions, or both that are keeping them clear? Any ideas?

I have a biowheel filter . The substrate is red and white gravel. The temp, which I thought was higher, ended up being about 70 F. I am slowly trying to get it into the mid 70's and it is currently sitting at 72 F.

Thanks,

Bill

They are males. Only the females get to be the bright cherry red color. The males are a pretty much clear, maybe slightly pinkish.

Are you sure? I had a bunch of cherry's before and they were all red. I doubt I had all females. Even all the babies were red. I think it might be due to weak genetics.

Maybe you will need to introduce some new genes into the pool.

They are males. Only the females get to be the bright cherry red color. The males are a pretty much clear, maybe slightly pinkish.

Are you sure? I had a bunch of cherry's before and they were all red. I doubt I had all females. Even all the babies were red. I think it might be due to weak genetics.

Maybe you will need to introduce some new genes into the pool.

I bred different lines of cherries for years and none of my males are bright red like the females. They are a more pale, clear pinkish color with kind of a hint of red. Kind of like in this pic

This site has a good pic of the difference under the "sexing" section http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Sexing the Red Cherry Shrimp is very easy. Females are easy to identify as they are larger than the males, have a much darker red coloration, and also have a curved underbelly. In the photo below you can see how the male is smaller, has very little red coloration and the "under belly" is a straight line with no curved shape. After keeping the Red Cherry Shrimp for a little amount of time you will be able to sex this species without a problem.

Cherries - both males and females - are brighter under brighter light. Older shrimp will color up. Females get so deep in red it's crazy! Males will develop some red color as well, when they get old. However, for the most part, males are colorless (a few red specks along the body is about it).

• 4 weeks later...

will yoyo loaches, smaller plecos,rams,swordtails,danios,or small tetras eat cherry shrimp or will they do fine in a 120gal planted?

Yes they will, except maybe the plecos. Anything with a mouth big enough to fit a shrimp will eat them and any fish that is too small will usually still try.

Plus in a 120g planted tank you'll need a LOT of shrimp to even be able to find them in there.

Interesting. I bought a couple bags of 'cherry shrimp' at the CAS auction. Some were quite a bit lighter and I thought I'd gotten some mixed or hybrids. In checking them I see now that there are some slight differences as described, so the lighter ones were just males I believe now.

I've been feeding them to my cichlids, maybe I'll actually take a few bags to the meeting auction instead! haha!

good topic. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on how or if temperature influences color? I am at 23 C right now. My friend has a higher temp and a much redder population than I.

As for a follow up on lighting: My tank was so overgrown, I pulled 90% of the plant life out. It's much brighter and everything in the tank improved in color.