Guppy Fry

robin

This may seem to be a really stupid question......but yes, I do know how to sex a guppy.

With that in mind.....why are 95% of my fry female? I leave my mommy girls in a 10 gal (a handfull of them) and throw in a few boys from my 'show' male tank for a little while. After a week or a month, whenever I get to it, I take the boys out, put them back in my male tank and let the ladies carry on with babies.

There is a lot of live plants and hiding room, so the strong/smart fry live. As they reach age where I can tell the sex, I take the boys out and put them in the boy tank, etc. Where are all the boys? My girl tank is getting really full of girl fry......yet only one or two boys come out for the other tank???? Why? What am I missing?

I'm pretty sure that Guppy gender is almost completely temperature dependant. I had a couple tanks of Endler's Guppies - one in my fishroom, and one in my son's room. The fishroom tank wasn't heated, and was probably around the low 70s; while the one in my son's room had a heater that kept the tank around 78F. I believe it was the warmer one (I can't remember 100%) was the one that was skewed toward the female side, while the fishroom was more evenly split.

• 4 weeks later...

Big fat belly equals pregnant from what i can tell. And about the skew from male to female what you said about the smart ones surviving.... well my mind went in a completely un fish related direction :smokey: and i had a laugh. But to answer your question 100% my guppy tank wasn't heated and there was a decent mix of male and female guppies with the females being less in the winter months.

Hope this helps

L

The female will develop a gravid spot when she is preggers. The back of her belly near her anus will develop a black spot inside which is quite visible. If you google gravid spot I'm sure you can find some good pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not very successful on breeding guppies, just manage to maintain them

well just keep trying give them regular water changes and you should do fine, give the little ones places to hide and your mortality rate will go down

• 1 month later...

I have several female guppies all with HUGE stomaches but have never seen a baby or had a female change size other then to slowy get bigger length wise but the longer they get the fatter they look ( i havent't been able to see them clearly enough to see if they have a gravid spot or not

Big fat belly equals pregnant from what i can tell. And about the skew from male to female what you said about the smart ones surviving.... well my mind went in a completely un fish related direction :smokey: and i had a laugh. But to answer your question 100% my guppy tank wasn't heated and there was a decent mix of male and female guppies with the females being less in the winter months.

Hope this helps

L