advice on new setup

thefishdude

Im looking for advice on a new setup...

Looking at all the great Malawian tank setups I've seen here and at CichlidForum I wonder how people find cleaning them. Would you suggest using silicone to permanently affix rocks together and to the bottom/sides of the tank? Although this would seriously prevent any accidents - I'm not sure that I want a tank that is "permanent" - I kinda like the idea of changing it up every month or so. However this means alot of work pulling rocks out, cleaning and re-arranging. How would one get the tank good and clean if there is permanent structures siliconed to the bottom/back? I am a stickler for clean glass and having something siliconed to it would definately make cleaning it more difficult - experiences...suggestions....

Also just thought of another question - has anyone painted the back of their tank black as to not have to use a background? Any regrets or tips?

Edited by thefishdude

Personally, I think you would regret it if you stuck all your rocks together, and you'd really regret it if you stuck them to your tank. I think as long as you pile your rocks carefully you shouldn't have a problem with them getting knocked over. When ever I pile my rocks I always give them a shove from different angles just to be sure. You also have to make sure that if your cichlids dig under your rocks they won't compromise the stability of the pile.

I'd never glue my rocks together; even though most of my tanks stay the same way for quite some time, I do like the option of changing things.

One thing that I've found extremely useful with diggers is to make a sort of table using granite (you can get scraps for free at any counter manufacturer, and silcone a table together). The table is essentially buried in the sand/gravel so that the top is level with the top of your substrate. Rocks can then be piled on top of and around this. Your fish will dig out under the table, and the structure itself stays intact (while giving a large cave underneath). When doing this, I often also use slate to make the sides solid, so the sand doesn't fall back underneath (and you can move it around, essentially removing the large piles usually seen everywhere and controlling exactly where your fish dig). I hope this makes sense...

As for cleaning, I don't really find it to be too much different than any other tanks.

Good luck!

do you use anything on the bottom of the tank to protect the glass at all? I have heard of people using that egg crate stuff (I think thats what its called)...

If this is the case would the fish not dig down to the egg crate thereby exposing it? I would prefer to get away with not using it - opinions on this :eh:

Edited by thefishdude

Also just thought of another question - has anyone painted the back of their tank black as to not have to use a background? Any regrets or tips?

This is just my opinion...

I would never paint a tank for the simple reason that it would be a big pain if you ever wanted to change it. you'd need a blade and many hours of scrapping which may result to scrathing the glass if you are not carefull.

I don't much like the underwater scenes that you'll find at your nearest LFS, IMO their are quite ugly.

this leaves you with a couple of options.

If you are just looking for a solid color... head down to your local fabric store and get a cutting of the color of choice. shouldn't be too expensive, but its all based on your taste.

the other option that i have seen would be a DIY project with foam to create a background. they look sharp, but painting and cleaning it would the the issue... that i know nothing about.

I have used egg crate on my tanks before but its more to help with the weight of the rocks more than the fish digging, as i keep mbuna as well.

just IMO and IME.

if you can post some pics! I always like seeing other peoples tanks!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

try netting out a holding female who is hiding in rocks that are permanently attached to the tank and each other, yikes. As far as painting the back of the tank , many people do so. Latex paint is easily removable from glass so it's not a problem. I originally had my African tank set up with styrofoam as a base, then some gravel and the rocks on top however when those times came up that I wanted to remove the rocks or rearrange then up popped the foam so eventually I just have some gravel and the rocks. There is not enough gravel under the rocks where the fish could dig and make the structure unstable.

Rick

I think I will just stick to putting the rocks on the glass and then adding the sand around them - Maybe I will try the "table" idea as that sounds like something to keep the fish preoccupied

What would be a good guideline for the maximum weight of rocks that you would want to place on glass. I just looked at the thickness of the glass and it is the same thickness that is on my 90 gal. Reason I ask is because I found a beautiful rock camping this past weekend, but it probably weighs 50-60 lbs. Am I asking for trouble?

As for the background - for the last few days I've been tossing around the idea of doing a 3D background - still looking into where to get products to seal etc. etc. Havent decided yet though as it seems like alot of work and again - Its permanent - no changing things around when I get bored. What type of fabric do you use as a background Nev? Should I be looking for something that has a stretch to it - does light pass through the material?

I have a friend that put vinyl on the back of a tank - the kind that is used in pin striping for vehicles. Looks pretty sweet - just apply with a squeegy and work air bubbles out to the sides. Nice thing is that the background has vivid color due to the fact that there is no air layer between glass and vinyl - and it removes easy too. I will look into costs for that as well

Thanx

CORY

My 180 came with a dark mirror on the back, which I really like, especially when the back gets covered with a bit of algea. I've got the water flow directed on the back glass, which in turn forms the algea into neat patterns.

My other tanks are against cedar log walls. It gives almost the impression of the tanks being in front of possibly the side of a ship or something? And again, I don't scrape the algea on the back, which gives it a totally natural look. I suspect you could get some nice wood panneling to place behind your tanks, if you so desired.

Personally though, I like a plain, neutral look; I've seem many pics of tanks where you can't see the fish from the overpowering background. Just my preferences... :)

I went to Rona today and bought a sheet of that plastic sign material sheet. A 4 by 2 foot sheet is around $7 and a 4 by 8 foot sheet of the stuff is 14 dollars. It comes in blue black yellow red and white. I stuck a piece of blue behind my 55, they were out of black in the small sheets, and I think it looks ok. Being plastic and light it is easy to cut, and will never rot.